Extra Dark DME

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfred

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of using extra dark DME with one can kits?
I have 1kg of Ritchies extra dark DME and I can't make up my mind whether or not to use some or all of it or to use normal light DME in a Munton's Midland Mild kit that I have. I'm not sure if the extra dark DME would be too overpowering.
I was going to steep a little maybe 150 or 200g crystal malt and 25g goldings, just to freshen up the kit.
Anyone with experience of using this extra dark DME or Mild kits that could advise please, would be most welcome. I have used neither the Extra dark DME or a Mild before.
Cheers.

I don't find it overpowering, a full can of black treacle would do that though.

Here's my entry to brewdogs homebrew competition It was a finalist I came 7th. out of 300+ entries.

Brew 16 - Ris-ky business - 20/03/2016 dull gold

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar

Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

og 1090 - fg 1011.
10.37%

I decided to keep the 1kg of extra dark DME to use with a Coopers Dark Ale kit which is in the cupboard to be brewed in due course. I've had some really good results from the Coolers Dark Ale in the past.
I used a 1.2kg pouch of Mangrove Jacks liquid malt extract with the Muntons Midland Mild and made a hop tea with 25g Goldings hops. My intention is to have a session beer that I can drink a few of without getting legless

Latest posts

Back