Extract Brewing on kitchen hob - equipment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ushills

Reaction score
Done a couple of kits now and would like to have a go at extract brewing, and probably brewing with bags.

I have all the equipment for kits and would like to use the kitchen hob and probably a 10 litre pan.

Is there a guide on how to do this? From what I've read I need to boil the grains in a pan following steeping if necessary, add the bittering hops, boil for 45 minutes then add the finishing hops for the last 15. Cool the wort in the sink, pour into the FV, add the unhopped extract, stir and top up with cold water to the required level and pitch the yeast when at pitching temperature.

Is this correct?

How do I know I have the correct amount of fermentable sugars etc, how do I adapt or find recipes?

So ideally I need at least a 15l pan and to boil the extract and the grain, hoops etc. Then add to the FV with cold water.

For that recipe you need a pan that you can safely boil 10L of water in, but I have seen others that use a smaller pan. You can always boil in less water but you will need to adjust the hops to get the same bitterness (hop utilisation is lower in higher gravity wort).

There is a really good extract walkthrough in the how to section. Probably a great place to start. :thumb:

Is there a formula for how you need to change the ingredient quantities when say you are doing a 23l batch and intend to only boil 10l, making the rest up with cold water.

Or do you just use the full quantities of grain, hops and DME but it is initially more concentrated?

The few extracts I have done call for making the wort to the required amount in the pan, say 10l as an example, per the instructions then simply adding more water to the fermenter. For example like this (http://critanime.wordpress.com/2012/08/ ... r-recipie/). Though if you have the ability to make to the full amount, in the recipe I linked 15l, then it's more simple. But as I say I have done this fine in a 10l pan.

I made my first AG in a 15l jam pan, but didn't dare fill it to the 15l mark.... however - I initially made a bit of a muck up of the recipe, and went well under on my grain bill, so ended up adding half a tin of extract after a week to get the ABV up. In spite of that, it was excellent, and I was sad to have made only 2 gallon.

However - what I did was use 'hopville' to plug in all my quantities etc. and played with the numbers in there to work out how much extract to add to bring it up to scratch. The recipe is here http://hopville.com/recipe/1693926 - with the Coopers amber malt added as 'late boil' simply because it was the closest option to match 'after 1 week of fermenting'.... You can literally muck about in there till you get what you want, scaling wise.... my first step however was to take a 5 gall recipe and just reduce it down by division and multiplication...

i.e (hypothetically)

5 gall = 1kg of malt

5 gall = 23l

2 gall = 9l

= 1000 / 23 = 43.5g malt

= 9 x 43.5 = 391.5g malt

I hope that's right....

ushills said:
Is there a formula for how you need to change the ingredient quantities when say you are doing a 23l batch and intend to only boil 10l, making the rest up with cold water.

Or do you just use the full quantities of grain, hops and DME but it is initially more concentrated?
There are tables that give the hop utilisation at different gravities so you could use this to adjust the amount of hops used. Or you could use one of the many software programs or spreadsheets available.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22700

I've changed my hopping schedule and now add my final hops at flameout and steep for 20 minutes but this is broadly what I have kept doing before going AG recently. I would use a nylon voile curtain over the FV to sieve the hops now. as well, since you can buy enough from Ebay or a shop for a few pounds.

Are there any suggestions for the best place in the UK to get a 15l or nearest stock pot for this purpose.

ushills said:
Are there any suggestions for the best place in the UK to get a 15l or nearest stock pot for this purpose.
I got a cheap one off eBay - it's ok but very thin. I think Wilkinson do one too.

Thanks will have a look at the ones in Wilko's. Had a look at ebay but some of them seem to suggest they are thin.

One thing I found, using the jam pan- it has a 'loop' handle that allows it to pivot/swing from the top, plus a side handle for tipping- so its quite easy to pour out of with the 'spout' that's also bent into it

Underground said:
One thing I found, using the jam pan- it has a 'loop' handle that allows it to pivot/swing from the top, plus a side handle for tipping- so its quite easy to pour out of with the 'spout' that's also bent into it

What size is this any where did you get it from?

piddledribble said:
Buckingham do a range that are popular. Quality is reasonable if a little thin, but prices are good.t
That's what I have. I ordered a 19L and got a 15L - had the difference refunded. I've only done one extract brew with it. I now only use it to measure my grains in to. But that's only because I was lucky enough to get a 40L Buffalo boiler at a good price and so have now gone AG.

Back