Favourite Beer Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use all sorts (whatever friends/family give me), but quite like the green Gaymers cider bottles as they are nice and plain, the labels fly off in a little hot water, and they cap well.

Oh, and Tesco were doing them filled with quite nice cider for £1.35 each. Always a bonus.

Generally take whatever I can get! But I do avoid Wynchwood, PITA to get capped using my trusty 2 handled youngs capper.

I use any as long as they are thick, there are some thin ones about these days. Those wynchwood ones are fine with a bench capper.
I went through mine a few days ago and rejected all those short dumpy types, hassle to cap and more importantly don't store with others on my racking :evil:
S

I use Newcastle Brown bottles for stout.

To stop skunking I wrap them up in black paper napkins.

My friends call it Burkha beer.

Cheers RD

McEwans champion No1 ale bottles as thick as the class dunce and really dark glass other than that i stick to any brown or green bottle also keep the clear one sfor back up because you never know whe they will come in handy :thumb:

"Old Tom" bottles are good, 330ml with thick chunky glass and good with most bottlers.
old_tombottles_1.jpg

Sam Smith bottles, easy to get labels off, foil bits come off in hot water. Very thick glass and a full pint (568ml not 500ml). Oh, the contents is pretty good too :cheers:

For nice looks and ease of getting labels off I like kopparberg bottles, but they are a pain to cap with a levered capper :evil:

Newcastle brown bottles are easy to de-label and cap, I have some APA in them but I am wary of the skunking risk.

I almost exclusively use the short Belgian 330ml bottles. They have several advantages, they can take a lot of pressure compared with most other bottles, they are brown, the labels always come off easily and, very importantly, they almost always come filled with excellent beer.....

Bottling for the first time now.

Thwaites bottles seem to have plastic labels! The scamps.

I always liked the fullers bottles. Very classic shape. Good thick glass. I have about 40 of them in garage but they are feeeeeeeeelthy!

TheMumbler said:
Hawks said:
I think its only bottle conditioned beers that need to be in dark bottles :wha: I assume to do with the yeast, and if its pasteurised or filtered then its not a problem

Brown bottles are to block UV light which can cause skunking. It is to do with alpha acids from your hops not the yeast.

I believe at least some commercial brewers use special hop extracts or add something or other to stop it happening. I would guess that is what Scottish and Newcastle.

I would question this. Any type of glass is not transparent to UV light. When scientists run spectrophotometers in the UV spectrum, the test vials are always quartz, never plastic or glass. I doubt very much that its UV that causes the skunking as UV doesnt get through glass, regardless of what colour it might appear in the visible spectrum.

I like Shepherd Neame, Theakstons & Timothy Taylor bottles. I did have a phase using Wells bottles but they are a PITA to clean because of the shape. Labels just fall off of all of these in the dishwasher.

BIGJIM72 said:
I like Shepherd Neame, Theakstons & Timothy Taylor bottles. I did have a phase using Wells bottles but they are a PITA to clean because of the shape. Labels just fall off of all of these in the dishwasher.
Oh. Dont the labels clog up the dishwasher? I spent hours soaking bottles this afternoon!

As a rule they come off in one piece. Yes, you have to fish them out of the bottom of the dishwasher but it's a damn sight easier than soaking & peeling them off.

Check out this one my parent's brought back from France, it's teracotta, so cool I can't bear to Open it! Would it be possible to re-cork it with my own beer?
519a4e5a-f889-16ed.jpg

Back