Fermentation Advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero94

Reaction score
Hello people,
Well I have finally made my first batch and got to the stage of dry hopping my batch, kept my fermentation vessel at between 19-21 degrees C.
Now the temperature has dropped a fair bit round here in the last few days and I checked the thermometer on my vessel and it read at roughly 17c and there's been no activity in the airlock for about 2 days.
So my question is this,
Is this batch savable? will bringing it back up to around the 20c mark get the yeast going again?

Cheers

I started fermentation last Monday.
I don't have a hydrometer to take a reading.

17C is fine to ferment ale yeast at I've done a number at 16C/17C. The problem you may have had is the change of temp if it happened quickly. It could of caused the yeast to drop out of suspension.

Also dont rely on what the airlock is doing. It could be your beer finished fermenting at the same time it dropped to 17C. Take a hydrometer reading. If it's still high gently stir the yeast back into suspention

Right thought I would just throw a little update up.
Swirled it around a bit then I got me a big pan filled it with luke warm water and stuck my fermentor in there 5 minutes later I have airlock activity and the batch smells beery.

Right thought I would just throw a little update up.
Swirled it around a bit then I got me a big pan filled it with luke warm water and stuck my fermentor in there 5 minutes later I have airlock activity and the batch smells beery.
although ale yeasts like the lower end of the temperature scale,invest in a heating brewbelt or pad if you are using a standard bucket as in winter time the brews will get sluggish and they are really quite just pennies to run:thumb:

get that hydrometer, its about a fiver for a hydrometer and sample jar, and a turkey baster is a great way to draw a sample off a fv without a drain tap.

the 'activity' you witnessed post stir/warm up could have been co2 that was dissolved in the beer due to earlier fermentation without gravity readings its impossible to say.

I still have activity now, I gave the batch a shake and got it back up to temp around 8 hours ago.
Will be definitely investing in a hydrometer and some form of temp control for me next brew.

Latest posts

Back