Fermentation time of cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleslie

Reaction score
I'm doing a Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit and had it fermenting for 1.5 weeks at around 11-13 degrees C then moved it to a secondary fermenter.
I moved it out of the fridge to sit for a few days before bottling, but it seems the yeast liked the warmer temperature in my kitchen around 20 C and has been fermenting slowly still ever since. It has now been 3 weeks since I pitched the yeast and it is sitting around 1.015 reading. There is still some bubbles when I look inside.

1) Is it normal to take this long to ferment? (I'm used to bottling draughts after 1 week)
2) Does moving to a secondary fermenter mean less yeast is now available to continue fermenting? .... or does this have any negative affect on the result?

Cheers

as far as i am aware the lower the temperature the slower the fermentation.

does your instruction say to ferment at such a low temp?

i have no experience of this kit but i gues it'll be ready when its ready, your hydrometer readings will tell you when its ready for bottling.

i did mine at 22c for aound 10 days, its taking so long because of the low temperature.

i did my coopers cerveza at around 22 degrees. i think the yeast that comes with the kit is not a lager yeast and requires a higher temp to ferment. i short brewed my kit to 30 pints instead of 40 because i like a stronger brew. it finished after 8 days at 1.006. was ok taste wise straight away but is much much better after a month. one i will definitely do again

yeah it should be fermented between 18-24 oC.once it gets under 1.010 I would bottle.If it doesnt move in the next few days then just bottle it anyway

The yeast provided is prob an Ale Yeast so needs something arround 18-22C range, as said above go of the gravity not the bubbles!

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah I guess the kit yeast is just ale yeast. On the upside I did bottle it yesterday and I think all the extra timed has paid off as it looks really clear, with little sediment. Just wait for the taste test in a few weeks I guess :-)

cleslie said:
Yeah I guess the kit yeast is just ale yeast. On the upside I did bottle it yesterday and I think all the extra timed has paid off as it looks really clear, with little sediment. Just wait for the taste test in a few weeks I guess :-)

I have just purchased this kit, I will prob use a lager yeast and mainly sugar with abit of very light malt extract. Let me know how it comes out. I am going to keg and force carbonate for a party later in the year.

Does anyone know if I should be following the lager rests in temps for this if I am doing a lager yeast? I guest so as its prob brewed original to a lager recipe?
D

Yeah I would use a lager yeast and the lower temp. It seems when I did mine at the lower temp with the ale yeast it slowed the whole process down considerably. This was my first batch and I think it should have been bottled sooner as I have tried a couple 2 weeks after being bottled and while it is very clear and tastes fine it is lacking considerable bubbles.
I am now doing a Muntons lager at normal ale temp and it only took a week to ferment (as per normal) I will bottle today and compare this in 2 weeks.
Much to be learned as a newbie :-)

Latest posts

Back