SS Conical Fermenter or my Classic Plastic Bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulcford

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wanting to start a brew in my garage which is averaging around 12 - 14 degrees C at the moment. I have a Klarstein SS Conical Fermenter, but it does not have the yeast extraction outlet at very bottom that some have. It just has the tap for transferring finished brew to keg or bottle.

SS seems to be harder to keep warm in my environment so I was considering using my classic old plastic fermentation bin.

So that I can make an informed decision, what other benefits do members think there are with using a SS conical fermenter?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

It looks nice! I'm using my plastic bucket on a heat pad,wrapped in the patio bench cushion,held on with a bungee elastic,controlled with inkbird....because my fridge is occupied. The heat pad isn't coming on very often.

Two big advantages of stainless steel.

1. Far easier to clean and maintain
2. It's shinier

I'm tempted by the lure of a shiny stainless steel fermenter but have stuck with buckets up till now as I can get two in my fridge.
Are SS conicals much taller than a standard bucket ?

Hello everyone,

I am wanting to start a brew in my garage which is averaging around 12 - 14 degrees C at the moment. I have a Klarstein SS Conical Fermenter, but it does not have the yeast extraction outlet at very bottom that some have. It just has the tap for transferring finished brew to keg or bottle.

SS seems to be harder to keep warm in my environment so I was considering using my classic old plastic fermentation bin.

So that I can make an informed decision, what other benefits do members think there are with using a SS conical fermenter?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Get a heater and a sleeping bag. The fermentor is not the issue.

I'm tempted by the lure of a shiny stainless steel fermenter but have stuck with buckets up till now as I can get two in my fridge.
Are SS conicals much taller than a standard bucket ?
Hi there, my one stands on 3 legs, so that alone along with the narrower conical bottom do mean it is taller than a plastic bin.

I have the same klarstein fermenter, with the dedicated neoprene jacket and the ss brewtech temperature control kit. Currently working at zero ambient temperature with extra layers of insulation wrapped around it.

I have the same klarstein fermenter, with the dedicated neoprene jacket and the ss brewtech temperature control kit. Currently working at zero ambient temperature with extra layers of insulation wrapped around it.
Hello there, thanks for replying to my post. I have searched for a dedicated klarstein fermenter jacket for mine, but I cannot find one. Can you help?
When you say zero ambient temperature, can I ask what you are using to heat the fermenter? Or is this the Brewtech control kit?

See below, it’s out of stock but because klarstein is generic kit it is the same as the brewdevil.
https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/brewdevil-ss-conical/470-30l-brewdevil-ss-conical-jacket.html
The Brewtech controller has an output for 60w heat pad and pump to drive cooling water. The function is the same as an inkbird but it’s tidier. The pad is just taped to the lower wall of the fermenter under the jacket.
Hello again, many thanks for that I shall try to order one today..

You could probably just use a domestic hot water cylinder jacket or even a few turns of bubble wrap if you don't have an old sleeping bag 😃
Insulation doesn't have to be fancy
That is an excellent idea. I think I have an old sleeping bag in the loft.

Latest posts

Back