Fermenting and Foam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Once the foam starts to appear during fermentation I have heard that some remove the foam on a daily basis with a sieve. Obviously this is likely to increase chances of contamination but is there a real need for this or is it best to let the foam dissolve into the beer.

Wow, really?!
That foam is actually the Krausen. It's basically the yeast having an orgy and eating sugar. You can remove some (top cropping), but I've never heard of any reason to remove it daily, apart from an extreme risk of contamination it may well stall fermentation.
Don't do it!
Generally, pitch yeast, leave for at least week, more like two, then take a gravity reading.

Thank you for the advice, it was not something I was going to do I just wanted it clarified.:thumb:

Yes, agree all the above.
The only time I might interfere is if I had an extremely flocculant top-fermenter. But then I wouldn't remove it, I'd "rouse" it by whisking it back into the beer.
Having said that, and I do use genuine British top-fermenters, I've never felt the need recently!

If you want to separate beer from yeast, trub, whatever, then assume that the **** will be at the bottom. Either siphon it off, or have taps on your FVs/containers. But you won't get off-flavours in days, or even a couple of weeks in my experience.

Latest posts

Back