Fermzilla Gen 3

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Raven Brewery

Reaction score
Sorry about the terrible picture but I've just gone and got myself the fermzilla Gen 3 😁 got the thermowell and pressure kit so fingers crossed I can brew again real soon!!
Paired up with the rapt pill and the WiFi inkbird in my fermentation chamber it should be a fun experience 🤘

Attachments

• PXL_20220819_102526619.jpg
    PXL_20220819_102526619.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 5
I bought one too :)
Just did my first brew with it (German lager). I've used a single pack of S-23 at 22c and 18 psi from pitching so hopefully that works properly.

I bought one too :)
Just did my first brew with it (German lager). I've used a single pack of S-23 at 22c and 18 psi from pitching so hopefully that works properly.
Nice!! I've got a abbey style blonde due to be kegged any day now in mine. Kept it at around 10psi. I am thinking next time I'll use the fermenter to purge my keg as well. So far I'm very impressed.

Hissing away nicely at 0.5% abv so far. Doesn't seem to mind the high starting pressure or low pitching rate.

Attachments

• 20220828_132200.jpg
    20220828_132200.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
I've just kegged from mine. I ended up having to manually open the keg to relieve a little pressure every now and then as I didn't have enough John guest fittings for my ball locks 🤦‍♂️

What did you do? Pull the safety valve?
I wasn't planning on using a flow stop/ regulator when I fill my keg, I was just gonna do that

What did you do? Pull the safety valve?
I wasn't planning on using a flow stop/ regulator when I fill my keg, I was just gonna do that
Yeah 🤣 I was going to use the blow tie from the fermenter to keep the pressure somewhat constant...maybe next time 🤣

Yeah 🤣 I was going to use the blow tie from the fermenter to keep the pressure somewhat constant...maybe next time 🤣
I have done a few fermzilla to keg transferrs recently. I use the spunding valve straight from the fermenter onto the keg so the pressure is matched and then crack the spunding valve down a bit to start the flow. I also add co2 to the fermzilla at the same pressure throughout transfer.

@Rwilts yeah I was hoping to do that but as I mentioned I didn't have enough connectors because I just didn't think far enough ahead 🤣 otherwise I'd have done it the same way as your good self. Next time!

Have the pressure fermenter vertically higher than receiving keg. Make sure receiving keg at nearly pressure of fermenting vessel.
Liquid to liquid and short pull PRV on receiving keg.
Siphon starts, then connect gas to gas.
System balances and no need to add or purge gas or spund.
If you have your numbers and process right pre starting transfer for pressure and vols you should be transferring clear beer at correct carbonation into keg.

Have the pressure fermenter vertically higher than receiving keg. Make sure receiving keg at nearly pressure of fermenting vessel.
Liquid to liquid and short pull PRV on receiving keg.
Siphon starts, then connect gas to gas.
System balances and no need to add or purge gas or spund.
If you have your numbers and process right pre starting transfer for pressure and vols you should be transferring clear beer at correct carbonation into keg.
Yes I have seen this method 'on line' will need to give it a go

Sorry about the terrible picture but I've just gone and got myself the fermzilla Gen 3 😁 got the thermowell and pressure kit so fingers crossed I can brew again real soon!!
Paired up with the rapt pill and the WiFi inkbird in my fermentation chamber it should be a fun experience 🤘
What are y’all using for the fermentation chamber. I picked up one as well but can’t see to find something to maintain temps that will fit it. I’m set up in a garage in FL.

What are y’all using for the fermentation chamber. I picked up one as well but can’t see to find something to maintain temps that will fit it. I’m set up in a garage in FL.
I got a larder fridge for free from gumtree. Paired that with the rapt temp controller and pill. Put a greenhouse heater in the bottom and it does the trick. You're not meant to put direct heat on PET so heated jackets etc. Aren't the best for fermzillas as far as I'm aware.

I use fridge, brewpiless controller and heating belt around the pet fermenter.
Have one heat belt I use that is 100W and other is 30W on another controller.
Both fine provided that belt is on part of fermenter with wort in.

Any reason that i couldn't attach a new collection container without the butterfly valve? I'd only ever have it open anyway?

Any reason that i couldn't attach a new collection container without the butterfly valve? I'd only ever have it open anyway?
No reason you can't. I didn't really like the original collection jar so just have a capped off stainless 90° in prep for adding other bits for dropping the yeast. So yeah, definitely can do that.

Would be interested in how you achieve this, my experience is that the valve is integral part of the whole seal etc...
With the gen 3 which we're talking about the valve is just on using a triclamp. I forget the size of top of my head, I think it's 3" so you can just swap that out for any other but if gear so long as it's the correct size triclamp fitting with seal.

With the gen 3 which we're talking about the valve is just on using a triclamp. I forget the size of top of my head, I think it's 3" so you can just swap that out for any other but if gear so long as it's the correct size triclamp fitting with seal.
Ok thanks. Hadn't realised the destruction. Wish I could delete butterfly valve from my version 😞

Latest posts

Back