Fining and Force Carbonating at the same time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perryni

Reaction score
I plan to fine my beer with gelatine in the keg this weekend.

I will transfer from the FV to my cornelius keg, cool it in the fridge for a day then add the gelatine.

Can I also force carbonate as well or is it better to leave the gelatine to do its work for 4-5 days, pull a pint or 2 of the **** that's dropped out then force carb?

Cheers

finings leave for a few days then carbonate to your keg

I would ideally cool & fine before it goes into the keg ( so all beer going in as as clear as poss )

If you have to fine in the keg ( which I know I end up doing sometimes as I want the FV ;) ) then do the lot at once, it will work. :thumb:

I put the dissolved gelatine in the bottom, fill the keg and then purge, force carb and put it somewhere cold. I will clear perfectly but you will have some cr*p at the bottom of the keg which will come out with the first half pint or so ( depends how cloudy it was when it went in )

I have a few cheap plastic kegs that I transfer to from my FV, I'll fine in them and then transfer the bright beer to my cornies.

On my last couple of brews I have added finings to the secondary 24 hours before racking to my keg. Then I stick the keg in the fridge and start force carbonating. I find that the 24 hours in the secondary removes a lot of yeast which would have been transferred to the keg. Once kegged it has been clearing up pretty quickly and I don't get a lot of yeast on the first pour.

Latest posts

Back