Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skindar

Reaction score
Hi
Just away to brew a Vienna lager and transfer to my all rounder. I have a ink bird controlled fridge and plan on pressure fermenting. Will let fermenting start then going to spund to 15psi at 13 deg C(as per yeast instructions) until steady SG. After a diacytle rest i plan on cold crashing at 2 deg C. My question is, should i keep the 15psi on at all times? I would then transfer to my 19ltr keg and bottle the rest. I would like the lager to be fully carbonated in the keg and bottles without additional priming. Hope this makes sense 😅

When you cold crash the pressure will drop , so your not going to be able to maintain 15 psi on the spunding valve.

Something is also telling me that there is risk that you may get counter pressure and the fermenter may deform (worth someone else commenting on that).

When you cold crash the pressure will drop , so your not going to be able to maintain 15 psi on the spunding valve.

Something is also telling me that there is risk that you may get counter pressure and the fermenter may deform (worth someone else commenting on that).
Forgot to add, i have CO2 supply so i can increase pressure through gas post on fermenter to overcome any drop during cold crash.

I think if you maintain the pressure during the crash won't that continue to increase the co2 levels in your beer (beyond what your after)
No, not if it is set at the right pressure. Keeping pressure on a keg doesn't over carbonate beer, as long as the correct pressure and temperature are used for the desired carbonation level. Why would it be different in a pressure fermenter.

I was thinking because he is lowering the pressure during the cold crash, not maintaining a lower pressure from the outset and he would have already achieved his desired carb level before starting the cold crash. But I am no expert.

Latest posts

Back