First AG brew - brewstews Rauchbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know how you get on Jonny, that's twice my IBU!... I was worried about changing the recipe but more worried about being off the IBU scale!

When I said "would've been horrible" I was not talking from experience, shouldn't really have said that - it could be bloody lovely!

mak said:
This has been going steady now for 4 days, but today there is no activity. So I've taken a reading and it's come out at 1016! Finished fermenting in 4 days... eek! I've put it into secondary FV now... do you think it'll be ok or have strange flavours?

Bottled now - it's come in at 1014 after 8 days in the 2nd FV. It definately must have been too hot to do the bulk fermentation in 4 days... fingers crossed it'll taste ok!

It definitely must have been too hot to do the bulk fermentation in 4 days... fingers crossed it'll taste ok!
TBH, a well made beer with good yeast and that's about right, some yeasts are even faster, I've had 05 near FG in 24 hours and all temp controlled fermentations so no high temps. They still need the rest of the time to mop up the nasties they create before knocking them on the head :lol:
Quite nice hey...what would you change :hmm:

The original recipe called for a lot more hops than I used, when I put it into beersmith it came out extremely bitter - way off the scale. So I reduced them to within the "style range" of the beer... I don't know if BrewStew had weaker hops or perhaps just likes his beer on the bitter side.... but I'd like to see what doubling the quantities does! (since it was my first time, I've no idea how that will taste!)

The Ag#2 Orfy Hobgoblin has just gone into 2x5ltr polypins and 20 bottles. Accidentally spilled half a pint into a glass and having a sample. Flat as a witches tit but mmm tastes good. Now need some tubing and time to restore the angram hand pump! :thumb:

I thought I'd done something wrong when I was over so quick... maybe not then!!! Still, next brew will be temp controlled. I'm intrigued by a post by Aleman saying he starts temperature low and increases each day to make the yeast produce different flavours, need to do more reading on that! Do you use that technique Vossy?

Back