First AG Brew - Timothy Taylor Landlord

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dharte said:
mak said:
I don't know if this is relevant but from the AG guide I read on these forums it says to be careful to avoid splashing when you sparge as it can cause off flavours? (hot side airation)... I don't understand it, but noticed you have quite some splashing going on from the sparge, so this may be a way to improve next time?

Oh really, thanks. I guess I just assumed that getting air in to it at any point before the end of fermentation was a good thing. Next brew I'll use a long tube as if I was kegging it.

I went for a couple of pints tonight with a few guys from the office and the pub had TT Landlord on tap. I haven't had any for ages so I tried it and mine is much closer to the real thing than I remembered. I'm having a test of one of mine now and it's put my mind at rest! I know it's nowhere near ready, but it was a good opportunity to check everything was ok. :drink:

Well done on your first AG batch. Looks like you had a really good first brewday. Got to love a bit of TTL!

With regards to aeration, you can think of it in 3 phases. Hot side, i.e between the mash and the boil, post boil, and the ferment.

On the hot side, it is said that you want to avoid aeration, as certain compounds can oxidise and create DMS (Dimethylsulfide), which can produce an off flavour in the finished beer. TBH, in anything more flavourful than a light lager, the effects have probably been overstated and I would worry much more about oxidation further down the line. As a belt and braces approach, when sparging/lautering it's a good idea to run the wort into the bottom of the collection vessel via a hose or by running it down the side of the collection vessel by tipping it slightly on its side.

Post boil, I.e before you pitch the yeast you want to aerate the wort as much as possible. In the growth phase of fermentation, yeast will use the oxygen to grow and strengthen cell walls. However, once into the logarithmic phase and thereafter, that is where you want to avoid any aeration and oxidation as possible. Oxidation causes off flavours like wet cardboard. The yeast is over the growth phase and cannot use it, so it reacts with compounds in the beer.

Sort of. DMS is formed whenever wort is heated (i.e during the mash and on the way up to boiling point), but is boiled off during a vigorous boil. Boiling with the lid on prevents the DMS that is already present in the wort from escaping.

Thanks for the explanation Ceejay, it's really interesting. :cheers: This brew has been a big learning curve, but obviously the best way to learn is to have a go and if something goes wrong then learn from it for next time!

p.s just a note , keep lid on till near boiling as this will reduce time waiting for boil , then lid away ,hops in , turn heat down :thumb:

Latest posts

Back