First AG - Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone II (from Home Brew Talk)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolty

Regular.
Reaction score
Well I have got through it! Was not all that bad but did not hit my OG (was meant to be 1.056 and got 1.044).

3206930431_1f35646616.jpg

All my stuff lined up all methodically (thought I can't get this bit wrong).

3206932957_b1b5fc359e.jpg

This is my heating rig for the sparge water. Got a ket to convert for the HLT but not finished yet so doing the 1 pot approach. Got a 13kg propane cylinder and 8.5kw (30k BTU) burner.

3207788058_7f9f9eb8b7.jpg

Mashing is underway in my Hop and Grape cooler.

3207788658_97388d5c27.jpg

I decided to use an old blanket to keep the tun warm, as the lid is thin. Worked a treat. Only lost 1C!

3207778466_e0a73a6121.jpg

Here are my 3 hop addition ready.

3206937311_f7bed467e5.jpg

Part way towards the boil.

3206939937_78e7193727.jpg

Not really part of the brew process but necessary! Had to dip into my blueberry cider.

3206941415_dea267928d.jpg

This cooler from Hop and Grape is well good! Only took about 15mins. was about 6C outside though.

3206942681_ece73fd03a.jpg

The final result. In the bath the the Nottingham yeast. I pitched it dry without a starter. Hope it will be OK.

Overall had a good laugh. Did it mostly on a natural high and got a real buzz out of doing it. Dit narked about the lower than hoped OG, but you live and learn right?

Cheers

Bolty :cheers:

Bolty - great post :thumb:

I add the yeast dry all the time - you'll be fine :)

Looks like you did great for your first AG - don't worry about missing the target OG - I think most of us did that on our first (and still do now from time to time) - wait till you taste it ;) it's like going from black and white TV to full colour HD :thumb:

11 Gallons from Nisbets. Its a vogue aluminium stock pot.

Not as cheap as a keggle, but a very tasty pan.

Great first attempt!

Don't worry about missing the gravity - I do it all the time and until you hone in your equipment, it'll happen :thumb:

Great post, and it's a great beer :cheers:

Less than 24 hours in and I was greated home by less than 1 second bubbling, and a smell that if reminiscent of hobgoblin (smelt nothing like during the actual brew process).

3209584329_8522690baa.jpg

I also realised I did not do a correction on my hydrometer reading :oops: and it was 30C wort (calibrated to 15C) so corrected to 1.047. Does make me feel just a little bit better.

That's quite respectable then! Glad it all went well and great set of pics :thumb:

Fermented down to 1.009 so 4.9%. Its now in the pressure barrel and getting primed. Did get a mouthful while syphoning it and tasted well nice. Was in 2 minds about swallowing it as it was 9.30 in the morning, but I hate to waste good beer! :drink:

Can't wait for the next brew day now.

Anyone suggest a good amount of time to leave this before the first 'test'? It's in a top tap king keg if that makes any diffence.

Leave it to carb up for 5 days then move it to a serving position, somewhere cool, nothing wrong with trying a sampler then.

Tonight I've been suppin a beer I brewed 2 weeks ago tomorrow, Its good as it is :thumb:

Drinks pretty well :drink:

Had my first pint on Saturday (was away skiing, which helped me to help it age!)

Did add more bittering Styrian as it had a lower alpha than the recipe.

I did a side by side comparison last night and tastes fairly bang on for hobgoblin, but actually a bit more to my taste as is a bit more bitter and has more flavour (closer to the cask, rather than the bottled version).

Very, very, VERY recommended.

Back