First alcotec brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, 10 days will be Sunday for this first batch of mine and I used all Alcotec products so I have a standard to compare against when I try the other brands.

I went with a similar setup to you for the carbon filter but used 32mm pipe, so a basin drain plug would screw straight into an adapted “P” trap.
I couldn't figure out exactly how you had made the outlet in the base of the bucket. When it’s built I'll take a picture and upload it.

Have you tried any of the essences for flavouring this type of brew :?:

Just a quick question, my wash is nice and clear and has been bottled for about 3 weeks now, but is still smells and tastes foul! Is it too late to filter it using the pipe and granules method?

Only way I have managed to cover the taste is putting a whole bag of Haribo sweets in a bottle!

Try putting a dozen star anise in a bottle and leaving for a month. All you'll be able to taste is aniseed.

(I used one star anise in a one-gallon batch of cider, alongside cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. Can't taste the others, and can barely even taste the apple, but the star anise is coming through VERY loud and clear!

Ojivar you can filter it anytime.

cupid - I'd like to see a pic with the 32mm pipe, might nick that idea myself.

I don't use any flavourings in mine - it tastes vodka like anyway I just mix with tonic or similar when in glass.

I've tried the essences you can buy from home brew shops, it's all trial and error really, some nice some not so good. The ouzo or absytnthe ones always turn out well.

The baileys cream is a good one too but use elmlea instead of real cream as it will last longer.

When I used them I just went into the home brew shop and the chap there recommended the good ones.

Ojivar, just to let you know the first thing I did when my Alcotec Karbon arrived this morning was weigh it because it’s sold in a 1.7 Litre bag and this made no sense to me at all.

It actually weighs a little over 900g, so at least this makes it easier to make a price comparison.

There ya go.

[img ][/img]

Not sorted the filter length yet but was thinking about half the Karbon bag.
I'll have to have a play around with it, the full 3 meters is a tad long.

(re:HELP PLEASE....... how do I upload images :hmm:) Thanks for the guidance, I was losing the will to live :thumb:

Thanks all, I might try and give it a go filtering it to try and make it drinkable.

I originally used liquid activated carbon but it still has that nasty taste and smell!

Cupid_Stunt said:
Have you tried any of the essences for flavouring this type of brew?
I haven't yet tried this type of brew, so many thanks to mm707 for all the tips and photos, I may now be tempted to give it a try.

However, I have used some of the Prestige essences.

Their Scotch whisky liqueur essence (plus sugar as directed on the label) when added to a bottle of cheap vodka produces something pretty close to Drambuie, the Strandier liqueur is akin to Grand Marnier and the Triple Sec is pretty close to Cointreau. The Ouzo and Pastis essences also work well.

The malt whisky essence when added to a bottle of cheap vodka just tastes like a cheap whisky.

Cupid - That looks really good, what is that chrome pipe attached to the bucket ?

Will be nicking this idea to make a new one :)

mm707 said:
Cupid - That looks really good, what is that chrome pipe attached to the bucket ?
It's a standard sink waste outlet, if you click on the image to call it up full sized you can see the screw thread.

Got it in one Moley, £3.63 from Toolstation (Code 41768 - Unslotted)

Including: 1 x 32mm Compression Straight Coupling 90p (Code 56109) & 1 x 32mm “P” Trap £1.97 (Code 16995 - Sawn in half)

I know there’s better gear you can buy but I wanted to keep the price down and didn't fancy using second hand stuff. ;)
Also half of that 1.7L/900g bag of Karbon needs about 1m of 32mm waste pipe, off the top of my head I think I used 1.2m.(If you go down the dry/granular carbon route)

As well I must have read your mind, as when I drove through Stockport today look what I picked up :clap:

[img ][/img]

Thanks for the part numbers, it's a trip to toolstation for me :)

This time when I used the filter it was a bit cloudy at first so at the end I've put about 2 litres of weak sterilizing fluid ( 1 tablet ) through it to keep it clean.

Also, talking to the bloke who runs the home brew shop he says I am wasting money renewing the carbon every three batches - he says it will last a lot longer. I suppose when you consider that it is the same stuff they use in brittas water filter cartridges and they last ages for the amount that's in them he is right.

I quadruple filtered the last batch and it's really odourless :)

Well I purchased a length of pipe, a bowl and used a funnel and some mulsin I already had to create this:

DSC00797.jpg

I glued the funnel to the bowel and made a hole in the bowl to allow the liquid through, tried a few different ways to attach the funnel to the tube but ended up with leaks so in the end went with good old tape!

The other end has slits cut into it and muslin taped around it so the liquid can filter out into the water bottle, the pipe has about half a bag of carbon granules in it.

It's taking a loooong time, on day 2 now and just finishing the second run through.

Weird thing is I have got a lot less out then I put in :hmm: After the first run through I poured it all back into the 2ltr bottles in came from and ended up with 1 empty one, sure I spilled a bit but surely not 2 litres worth!!

Still smells pretty foul so I'm hoping this hasn't been for nothing and that after three runs through it will be noticeably better.

Pipe = £2.50

Bowl = 75p

Funnel = (I had already as part of a set but never used it before, no more then £1)

I noticed that the first run takes quite a bit longer than the others, not sure why

mm707 said:
Thanks for the part numbers, it's a trip to toolstation for me :)
Just dug out my Toolstation receipt from last week and the code for a single 3m length of 32mm Waste Pipe is (23184) @ £1.95 but this may be a branch code as it doesn't work online and in the catalogue it only shows a different code for a pack of 20.
Ask for a single length (if needed).

They also do a 32mm/40mm Compression Reducer @ £1.13 (Code 29513) that should fit the 41mm Floplast you’re currently using and thanks for the sterilization tip for the filter. :thumb:

One more thing, when I made up the sink waste in the bottom of the bucket I put the rubber washer on the inside, the instructions show it on the outside when used on a wash basin.
I also used a bead of clear silicone on all touching surfaces (probably overkill).

Well I have now run it through 4 times....still smells and tastes pretty bad! Is it worth keep running it through or is this as good as it's going to get?

It's certainly not drinkable neat but that's not a problem, the main thing is the nasty aftertaste it has even when mixed! :sick:

I don't tend to mix spirits, vodka, tequila, whiskey, sambuca, southern comfort....drink em all neat, so with this stuff at worst I would only want a 50/50 mix with wash and mixer but that still leaves the taste.

I will run it through one more time as I have it down to a fine art now and then try mixing it with the essences I bought.

Don't think I will be bothering making a wash again, will stick to the wine and beer. :drink:

Ojivar - did you use the carbon granules that you can get from the home brew shops ? I think it's called activated carbon

Your result seems really odd, I usually use about two thirds of a bag but after 4 goes with fresh carbon it should be crystal clear and almost odourless.

Yep I bought a bag of Alcotec Pure Karbon, 1.7l, Activated Carbon 0.4 - 0.85mm

It was what the chap in the homebrew shop suggested, I have now run it through 5 times and given up. It's certainly better then before but still smells like glue or something!

I have mixed some with a southern comfort style essence and that is nice and also done one with a peach vodka essence which is certainly drinkable!!

Back