First Beer a Success

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for days to get stuck in to this beer, my very first kit was a Geordies Scottish Export kit, I got it from Wilkies and got it home to find the yeast missing DOH! A quick trip to my brew shop for some yeast, which I was given for free, and found the kits in there for a quid cheaper DOH!

I started drinking the beer following 10 days of the cooling stage and it is lovely, fizzy tastey, doesnt hold a head very well but the beer is well fizzy!

My only query is, that there is a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottles, to the point where I have to be carefull when pouring it, if I kick some up it does settle, but I was wondering if this is to be expected, I didnt fine the beer after fermentation so maybe thats the answer, but if there is a way Id love to know how to bottle the beer and have no sediment?

Thanks in advance gang!

Don't worry it's OK. to have a little sediment in the bottom of your bottle. In fact if you did not have any you would have a problem with your conditioning and carbonation.
I usually remove my bottles from the fridge about 1/2 hr before I drink them to let the yeast settle and the chill haze to clear.Then I pour very carefully leaving 1/2" in the bottom of the bottle.
I find crash cooling on the last day before bottling helps the yeast to settle,using finings in the kettle only.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

llannige said:
Don't worry it's OK. to have a little sediment in the bottom of your bottle. In fact if you did not have any you would have a problem with your conditioning and carbonation.
I usually remove my bottles from the fridge about 1/2 hr before I drink them to let the yeast settle and the chill haze to clear.Then I pour very carefully leaving 1/2" in the bottom of the bottle.
I find crash cooling on the last day before bottling helps the yeast to settle,using finings in the kettle only.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Cheers dood, much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back