Lurking no more

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Elzibub

Reaction score
Hi everyone

After several months lurking and picking up lots of valuable knowledge (thanks all!) I thought I should actually join.

I'm in my 3rd era of homebrewing. In the 80s I was in a short-lived student homebrew syndicate, kit brewing from the usual suspects. I didn't get custody of the bucket and I didn't start again until the 90s, again from kits. This time my QC standards were higher, and the beer was very drinkable, even if it was obviously still kit beer. That era ended when for five years I went to live in a country where the beer was too cheap for homebrew to make any sense. Chucked out my bucket, barrel, hydrometer etc.

Now in era 3, building up a pre-retirement hobby. I did my first campaign of 3 different kit brews before Christmas and I was very happy with the results, tasted as good as commercial beer to me. Kits have got better in the last 25 years and there's so much more information and lots of supply options available online. I'm in the middle of my 2nd campaign of 3 more kit brews and I've even done some modest customisation. After that I'm planning to dabble in partial mash/extract as well as half scale all-grain with a stove-top pot. Along the way I've got a red wine kit to do too.

I'll post reviews of the kits separately in the kit section as other people's reviews have been very useful to me.

Cheers!

Welcome @Beer Elzibub , I hope you're not really the lord of the flies!
When you're ready to go partial mash there's a couple of recipe books I can recommend.
I do most of my brewing on the stove top these days in either 12 litre batches or 20 litres liquors back from 15.
Happy brewing.

Welcome @Beer Elzibub , I hope you're not really the lord of the flies!
When you're ready to go partial mash there's a couple of recipe books I can recommend.
I do most of my brewing on the stove top these days in either 12 litre batches or 20 litres liquors back from 15.
Happy brewing.
Thanks! No flies on me, as far as I can tell.
I have a couple of books but you can never have too many recipes, so will shout when I get to that stage.

Back