First Brew Help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spechunter

Reaction score
First of all hello I am new to the forum but have been lurking in the background for a couple of weeks. i have never done any home brewing but i have a few books and been looking up on here trying to get used to the "brewing terms".

I am looking at trying the "Fiery Ginger" posted by another member as my first brew attempt! Couple of things

1. Dry pitching the yeast? iv tried to find about this but I am a little unsure, is it mixing it with water and sugar to start it all working?

2. do i leave it fermenting until the bubbles stop with all the lemons still in it? if it takes a week or so wont the lemons got off and rancid?

cheers

Bruce :thumb: :thumb:

Dry pitching, yes, you can just chuck it in and give it a stir (only when temp <30 degrees). Other option is to make a 'starter' so the yeast is already working before you add it, just makes for a faster start to fermentation.

Havn't read the recipe about the lemons but it they're left in the FV, they should be ok and will get fermented by the yeast, you'll siphon the fermented brew off them and bottle.

Cheers PJBIKER :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

so is this "starter" the same as "pitching"?

only just noticed it needs a 2tsp Yeast nutrient added? is this done at the making a starter stage with the 1 sachet champagne yeast?

yep it all goes in the FV, will this get siphoned into another FV to sort of settle or straight into bottling?

Kindest Regards

Bruce

:drunk:

spechunter said:
so is this "starter" the same as "pitching"? :

'Pitching' just means adding yeast to the main wort, be it starter, dried or dried re-constituted in water.

spechunter said:
only just noticed it needs a 2tsp Yeast nutrient added? is this done at the making a starter stage with the 1 sachet champagne yeast?

doesn't really matter, I'd chuck it in when you 'pitch'

spechunter said:
yep it all goes in the FV, will this get siphoned into another FV to sort of settle or straight into bottling?
Its generally regarded as best practice to siphon into a 'secondary fermenter' after the primary fermentation has all but finished but as its your first attempt, I wouldn't worry too much. Theres bound to be some sediment and ginger beer is cloudy anyway. Havn't tried making ginger beer myself yet, think I'll give it a go though.

When I made this, I did not leave the lemons in the fermenter. It was PLENTY lemony anyway! Also, if you grate the ginger into a muslin bag, you can squeeze it at the end of the boil, and get more ginger flavour. I recommend this. The ginger from the roots creates a different flavour and heat than the powdered ginger.

Latest posts

Back