Does elderflower champagne always have to be bottled so early?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FilledAle

Reaction score
Does elderflower champagne always have to be bottled so early? All the recipes I've found say to bottle it around day 6 or 7 and then go one to list all the things you have to do to stop the bottles exploding! Why can't I just let the fermentation almost finish and then prime it when I bottle it? Has anyone tried doing it this way? I started this 10 days ago now, although I am using the natural elderflower yeast so a bit of a slower start. I racked it off the elderflower and lemons into a demijohn at day 3 and fermentation was rapid so been going at least 7 days and still bubbling away rapidly now so there is no way I could bottle it yet without having to keep opening them. I don't see the point of bottling it if I can't close the bottles I may as well leave it in the demijohn!

You can treat it like a beer transfer to another demijohn to clear and fine it as well like wine then transfer to bottles and prime.
Sparkling wine does need high carbonation say more than 4 vols so you do need strong bottles.

I've never made it but would like to give it a go one day. Personally I'd also go with the let it ferment out completely and then prime option. I also have a complete inability to stick to any sort of schedule when brewing so any intention to bottle on day 6-7 would mean it would still be in the primary on day 14 😁

Regarding bottles, if you consume any Prosecco in the household (my wife does), keep the bottles and use them. They'll be very strong. If you have a crown capper with a 29mm bell and some 29mm caps then these should fit on Prosecco bottles. You can also buy plastic corks with cages to stop them blowing off.

Back