First brew Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobbynormal

Reaction score
So, my first 'brew buddy' lager is now bottled and been clearing for a week now. Had to have a taste today and it's looking good, nice colour and carbonation but tastes weak like supermarket 2% value stuff. It tastes ok but not very strong.

In the fermenter now is a wilkos apple cider. Should be ready to bottle now but like the lager kit did, it's still bubbling away so will leave it till mid week.

If you are basing your "should be ready now" on the instructions don't worry they are always optimistic.

Ha yes they make it sound like "buy now and have a fridge full of beer by the weekend" I left my lager to ferment for 2 weeks rather than the 4-6 days like it said on the tin and will do the same with the cider. I kind of assume that all the time it is actively fermenting it is getting stronger in alchohol strength?

I know once I have these two brews in the fridge I will have more patience with the next brew. I don't actually drink that much :whistle:

My first lager brew is now 3 months old and tastes more like a premium Belgian beer and quite strong I think. The apple cider tastes ok but a bit flat, probably because I rushed the bottling as I was going away for a week and didn't want to leave it. Also now have a pear cider all bottled and I really took my time with that and is very fizzy but tastes a bit too Peary.
Really getting into brewing and fermenting now and have made some hard cider from apple juice,sugar and yeast that really blows your head off, it's more like apple wine, now have a wilko red wine which is very slowly fermenting, been on a week now and only just started frothing up but no bubbles from airlock. I used a mix of brewing sugar and ordinary white sugar for this.

Back