First ever TC experiment results

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDDunc

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing so 3 weeks ago I setup a 2L mini DJ so I could experiment to find the carbonation levels I would prefer. After 8 days in the mDJ (only morrisons own brand AJ, 1 packet yeast, zero other additions) all the activity looked like it stopped, or there abouts so I bottled (I had zero equipment at the time so I had to pour, and subsequently only got 3x500ml bottles worth. 1st bottle went 2tsps sugar, 2nd bottle had 1tsp sugar and the third had 1cm of honey in the bottom.

Anyway given the fact all I've read is that these TC's need months of conditioning to be any good, I cracked open the sugar bottles this eve (for scientific reasons obviously!) and my notes were:
2tsp = way too fizzy, made Champagne look tame and when opened it fizzed violently and although I only lost a relatively small amount the explosion at the beginning actually removed a lot of the carbonation but it still was pretty fizzy.
1tsp = a tiny amount of fizz out the top (but see notes below). But overall it had a bit more fizz than the 2tsp, I reckon because I didn't lose as much at the initial opening.

Notes: I had zero testing equipment so it may well not have finished primary fermentation after just 8 days so it's possible a 2 week ferment and 1tsp would be a perfectly fizzy (for those wondering what that means in my terms = a little bit fizzier than supermarket cider, a little. It closer to champagne level but not quite.

The thing that surprised me the most is the taste - I was expecting something terrible after such a short time in the bottles, however I was impressed. It wasn't a great cider but it was perfectly drinkable, in my mind very similar to a cheap cider in the shops.

All in all, very happy, and I now know the level of sugar I should use for more tests (flavour and recipe based) and then onto bulk.

Hic :D Hic :cheers: :D

Did you make any notes on the one with honey in?

Sounds like something similar to what I've wanted to do. I quite like the idea of trying to ferment Robinsons cordial.

Just think what it will taste like if you use tannin and malic acid and leave it in bulk for 6 months :whistle:

When you do that it actually tastes like proper cider. The reason why cheap cider doesn't taste like cider is because it isn't matured and quite often has only the minimum legal amount of apple juice in it to qualify as a cider, ( and hence the lower rates of of duty).

I usually put 6g per litre of sugar in cider and this is quite fizzy usually in beer i put 4g.

Well done with the experiment :thumb:

I certainly do have the results for the honey bottle. I opened it last night (outside after the other two) and extremely glad I did!!

As soon as the bottle opener was only half way to lifting the cap off, a very deep and loud whoosh (almost explosive like) came from the bottle immediately followed by a 6 foot jet of cider that was so violent it didn't even leave any dripping down the side of the bottle. I was left with a poultry 10-20% at most of the bottle left. I honestly can't have been too far away from a glass grenade, I was left shocked after opening it that the glass was still intact it was all that powerful.

Needless to say I will NOT be priming with anywhere near that volume of sugar, thinking about the amount of honey I used it must have been about 2-3 tablespoons !!

Lesson learnt ( I did say I was experimenting after all, right ;-) )

I bottled my cheap cider kit today with 5g per 500ml bottle (I batch primed in 2nd vessel for which I used to add my flavouring and sweetener too).

I'll go ahead with opening a few more TC's at 1 teaspoon per bottle and if not too violent will set that as my standard.

I have half started a toffee apple today (will be adding final 2L AJ and pears tomorrow) and then a Vimto one too.

Good news is I got lucky on Freecycle and through friends. I know have 2 proper sized DJ's and an unknown number of 'those glass fermenting things' I'm picking up next week!

:)

Oh I wanted to ask Graysalchemy... Seen as I'm still very new to it all, I'm assuming you can't bulk age if you want a carbonated drink (and only form of carbonation available is by priming the bottles and getting a secondary ferment?).

All part of the fun eh :D

I think most people find that 5g is the right amount per 500/pint. A bit less or a bit more to suit your tastes. Jumping up to 2tsp was asking for trouble and I'm not surprised by the 1cm of honey going off like a rocket :D

BigDDunc said:
Oh I wanted to ask Graysalchemy... Seen as I'm still very new to it all, I'm assuming you can't bulk age if you want a carbonated drink (and only form of carbonation available is by priming the bottles and getting a secondary ferment?).

I'm not GA but bulk aging doesn't have anything to do with carbonating. You can bulk age no problem as there will always be yeast left to take care of the secondary fermentation.

You can force prime the bottles with CO2 if you have the correct equipment etc. I'm going to try an experiment with a sodastream maker in a few weeks. Clean (bright) beer/cider would be fantastic for me.

Thanks for answering my Q Scott :)

I always assumed that after bulk ageing (2-6 months as a minimum) that all the yeasties would be dead and I could no longer carbonate by priming each bottle.

Now I know that's not the case I think I'll batch age my on the rocks mixed berry kit which is being delivered tomorrow and leave it until spring next year which given the reviews, should give me a very tasty drink indeed!

No even after 6 months there will be enough yeast. My last lot was matured for 8+ months. It will also continue to improve once in the bottleas well. :thumb:

Damn you were lucky.
You could have lost you hand or your eyes handling a bottle with that much pressure.
Still, lesson learned and I dare say you'll be more careful next time.
Tannin and Malic acid will make huge improvements but if you like to drink early, keep the tannin down to a heaped teaspoon in 25L.

Ken L said:
Damn you were lucky.
You could have lost you hand or your eyes handling a bottle with that much pressure.
Still, lesson learned and I dare say you'll be more careful next time.

Don't worry, I certainly will be!

Ken L said:
Tannin and Malic acid will make huge improvements but if you like to drink early, keep the tannin down to a heaped teaspoon in 25L.

With the brews I've made already, I haven't had any malic acid or tannin available - I substituted a 1/2 cup of strong tea in the ones I did 2 weeks ago onwards, but very first runs didn't. I'll be taking delivery of some malic acid and tannin from a brew store towards the end of this week so I will be able to add them in future, and with the advice I've received above I'll certainly bulk age them for a few months and bottle later, probably after 4 or 5 months.

I also have just received a hydrometer so I can finally work out the % of the brews I'll be making :mrgreen:

Back