First TC - Bottled up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
Hi,

Bottled my first TC this morning... Had a sneaky taste and it wasn't too bad, the fact it was before 10am did feel a little wrong but oh well. Very sour, but it certainly tasted like cider.

FG was around 1.000, my plan was to stop it early to retain some of the sweetness but I must have left it too long. Anyway, added a CT and some sorbate and then added more sugar.. Hope this does stop the fermentation or I am going to end up with exploding bottle the amount of sugar I put in :)

Anyone else tried anything similar for a sweeter TC without going for sweeteners?

High there giraffe.

When you added the CT and sorbate, how long did you leave it. How much sugar did you add to the bottles and what size are they.

I am just wondering whether if you chucked all three in at the same time, fermetation will continue.

oh dear, yes I just chucked it all in at the same time. How long are you suppose to leave it?

I didn't measure the sugar, but at a guess it was probably around 10-15 teaspoons in a 2 litre coke bottle.

giraffe said:
I didn't measure the sugar, but at a guess it was probably around 10-15 teaspoons in a 2 litre coke bottle.

Bloody hell :eek: .

Have you tried to open a bottle yet to see if there is any pressure building up.

Moley, where are you, what do you think.

I did open a glass one I had as I was worried about it exploding. There was a slight hiss but nothing major.

To feel the coke bottles they don't feel that pressurised, fairly easy to squeeze in a bit. No where near as firm as the lager I bottled up on the same day. So looks like it may have at least slowed down.

Worst thing is that I am going on holiday tomorrow, leaving some potential bottle bombs at home :| Think I might leave them in the sink for safe keeping :)

The plassy coke bottles can take a huge amount of pressure, so you probably needn't worry.

giraffe said:
but at a guess it was probably around 10-15 teaspoons in a 2 liter coke bottle.

Now that is going to be a sweet cider!

CT and sorbate take about 24 hours to kick in. I do not think that it will be a major issue tho. Just degas the bottle after 12 hours or so and it will be fine

Yeah, think I might have over done it.. I started by putting sugar in the demijohn, but it wasn't tasting much sweeter. I then started getting into a bit of panic, stirring up all the sediment etc so just put sugar syrup in the bottles. Plus I had already bottled up 40 pints of lager so was getting fed up by this point. :)

Anyway.. bottles seem fine, so don't feel too bad leaving them whilst I go away now.

Latest posts

Back