First time build kegerator help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy321

Regular.
Reaction score
I now have a tall fridge and I'm going to make a 2 tap kegerator to fit in my kitchen cupboard :)

I have put together a list of parts I hope to use (with links) I already have OC2 and regulator and I will consider temp control once I've completed this part.

Are these the correct parts, have I missed anything?

For gas in..

1 x gas disconnect with John Guest Push-fit
Connector and pipe from gas regulator
I can't find a 3/8 Y-connector to split the gas in pipe in the fridge as I was hoping to drill a 10mm diameter hole then have the Y-connector inside, does this exist?

For beer out..

2 x 3/8 liquid disconnects John Guest Push-fit
2 x Dalex taps with flow control (or should I used a certain length of pipe :wha: )
? meters of 3/8 pipe for beer and gas (I can use this sort of pipe for both including carbing?)

And pics of tall fridge, I think I can make it fit 4 kegs by trimming the shelf holders on the side but for now 3 will do.

IMG_3806_zps5543fbe2.jpg

I tried putting the CO2 in the fridge but it did not look safe, made a small retention bracket in the cupboard just in case..

IMG_3808_zpse8748b18.jpg

Y splitter here or you can use a 3/8" tee :thumb:

You can control your beer with some 3/16" tube and a few of these

A few meters of 3/8 will be ok if you don't carbonate your beers very much :thumb:

Thanks for the info, got the y splitter and most of the other stuff so hopefully I will have cold beer being served from my kitchen cupboard soon :party:

lower that shelf a little...take those egg trays off the door...you can prolly fit more cornies in there, they do stack with the JG fittings on if you turn them so they point out through the gaps..i have a tall larder and can get six in with the gas as well.

Can i ask why you are not keeping your gas in the fridge as well ? i thought it was supposed to perform better inside with the cornies as the temp is stable ?

Might be able to fit 6 kegs but I only own 4 at the moment.

I tried putting the gas in the fridge but I'm concerned it will fall over, might have a think about making some sort of fixings for it.

I don't think the gas performs any better for being in the fridge. The only plus is to you don't have to get the gas line through the fridge wall. Mine is outside of the fridge and works perfectly well.

Looking Good, regarding flow control taps vs 3/16th line to balance the keg pressure when pouring. i found the flow control taps great for lower conditioned beers, easy to set during the first pint, and done for the keg full. however with serving pressures over about 8psi ive found the flow control taps are more tricky to set and seem to need a tweek with each pint never quite getting there, and i have opted to use 3/16th line to serve my fizzy stuff like ginger beer at 15+psi...

if u have made the gas pipe hole already id keep the co2 outside, just chain/tie/strap it up against a wall or something, i overlooked that safety aspect til a slight snag of the gas line toppled my top heavy bottle..

I bought 3/16 free flow taps and 3/16 pipe and some John Guest reduction fittings as I want the option to serve lager in the future and it looks like the better option.

I've not made the gas hole yet as I want to get all the parts together and go back over the plan, I have however made a secure bracket outside the fridge for the gas.

I'm also looking at a drip tray I'm thinking about something like this but I'm holding off till the taps are fitted so I can get a better idea of size and scale

I've got the taps fitted and going to do the gas and pipes soon.

For the liquid can anyone give me a ball park figure for the length of 3/16" pipe needed to serve a stout with the tap 30cm above the keg and a fridge temp of about 6°C

Depends if your using co2 or mixed gas and the serving pressure..

the idea afaik is to reduce the pressure at the tap/release point of the system to as low as possible while still pouring a pint in a reasonable time.. circa 1-2 psi?? the low pressure differential or gradient on release helps to retain the co2 in the beer and not promote foam release.

iirc 3/16th line reduces pressure between 1-2 psi per foot length with CO2, closer to 1psi for the first foot and increasing slightly with each foot..

in practice start with about 5-6 ft or your best guess depending on keg pressure, and experiment with a pair of scissors ready to chop a bit off if too slow a pour.

i dont know if using mixed gas makes any difference ?

It's finished :party:

Bought a JG splitter for the CO2 but on pressure testing the pipes and disconnects were losing 20 lbs over 6 hours so I bought a brass T splitter and some jubilee clips and it held the pressure for 48 hours without any loss.

I cut 5m of 3/16 pipe in to 3m + 2m, using the 2m for ale and stout and the 3m for an October fest style which was brewed like a lager and it works well but having to use the sparkler for the ale to get a decent head (it's the one in the following pics).

Cut the shelf holders from the sides and covered in foil tape so I can fit 4 kegs, even when using 2 of the wider 18L ones :party:

One other question, I have loads of foil tape left is there any point in covering the rest of the side walls, door and bottom to improve efficiency?

Also please don't laugh but I made some drip trays with the door shelves and some silicon sealer that I had left over from decorating.

Pics.....

IMG_3833_zps2085104c.jpg

IMG_3835_zps1a28a71c.jpg

looks brill !.... :thumb:

just needs an egg tray on the front..... :grin:

Thanks for the comments guys, the Paisley Camra beer fest has been put back from the end of this month to Sept so I may have some friends round for sampling that week.

Latest posts

Back