First-time Lager Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, so apologies if it isn't! Or if these questions have been asked recently and I've missed it.

For my next brew I'm hoping to make a black lager with an all-grain kit. The instructions seem straightforward, but there are a couple of points I'm a little hazy on, and thought you wonderful people could give me the benefit of your experience.

Firstly, the actual lagering. Can this be done in the fermenter? And what temperature would you recommend for lagering?

Secondly, there's one packet of yeast supplied with the kit (WHC Einstein, to be precise), although the supplier recommends a second packet of yeast or a yeast starter "to ferment your batch in a healthy manner". What do they mean by that? Does it need a second pitch of yeast? If so, when? 🤔

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi - You can lager in the fermenter. You can either rack off or leave as is. Lager around 0-3ºC for 4-8 weeks, depending on your recipe.
You lager after fermentation , which needs temps of around 12-14ºC. Having a diacetyl rest (15-17ºC.) just before fermentation is finished for a few days, is a good practise.
You don't pitch yeast a second time. It just means you need to either add 2 packets when you pitch your yeast, or create a yeast starter first. (I go the starter route, because liquid yeast is expensive!).

Hi - You can lager in the fermenter. You can either rack off or leave as is. Lager around 0-3ºC for 4-8 weeks, depending on your recipe.
You lager after fermentation , which needs temps of around 12-14ºC. Having a diacetyl rest (15-17ºC.) just before fermentation is finished for a few days, is a good practise.
You don't pitch yeast a second time. It just means you need to either add 2 packets when you pitch your yeast, or create a yeast starter first. (I go the starter route, because liquid yeast is expensive!).
Excellent! That answers all my questions, thankee kindly. 😁 Really need to get a yeast starter on the go...

How are you packaging? I tend to chill the beer down in the fermenter and leave it for a week or so, and then properly lager in the keg. Frees up my fermentation fridge for something else.

How are you packaging? I tend to chill the beer down in the fermenter and leave it for a week or so, and then properly lager in the keg. Frees up my fermentation fridge for something else.
I'm hoping to get most of it into a corny keg, and the rest... well, no idea! Probably bottle? I was just planning to leave the fermenter linked up to the glycol unit and let that keep the temp right for as long as was required, the keg it?

although not absolutely needed either two packs of yeast or a starter made from live yeast is much more likely to give you a healthy fermentation. . another option is to ferment half a batch (2 to 3 gallons) with the one pack then use the cake from that batch to ferment a full batch . this is one way to get around buying two packs.
obviously fermentation chamber space may be an issue.

Just don't do what I did when I lagered in the fermenter for the first time - forgot about physics and managed to suck a pint of steriliser through the blow-off tube as I chilled it down - doh!

Latest posts

Back