First time using liquid (Kveik) yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I recently harvested some Kviek from a brew I did with dried flakes. It's in a jar in my fridge and I'm a bit unsure how to use it as I've never used liquid yeast before. I know with Kviek it's an under pitch so I'm aiming for 1/2 a teaspoon. My question is, do I aim for the bottom of the jar ignoring the liquid or do I need to shake it all up and then take a sample? Thanks in advance

Slurry from the bottom.

If you're going to keep reusing the kveik culture, it's usually best to harvest from the top during high krausen and dry it out. This will give you the healthiest yeast that should have the different strains in it present in the proportions they are in in the original culture. It also minimises the chances of contamination. The Farmhouse Yeast Registry is a good place to find out more about harvesting and re using different cultures.

Good luck!

Slurry from the bottom.

If you're going to keep reusing the kveik culture, it's usually best to harvest from the top during high krausen and dry it out. This will give you the healthiest yeast that should have the different strains in it present in the proportions they are in in the original culture. It also minimises the chances of contamination. The Farmhouse Yeast Registry is a good place to find out more about harvesting and re using different cultures.

Good luck!
Yeah I was planning to top crop but ended up missing the opportunity. Will make sure I do next time

Latest posts

Back