First Wort Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it is meant to give a smoother and more rounded bitterness... Also you extract more AA, due to the hops being in there longer (so more bang for your buck, or you can use less hops)!

Just been reading up on it Jim, what bolty says is pretty much it.

Sounds like it's worth giving it a try - next brew being planned now!

There is a lot more to FWH than just rounded bitterness . . . Talk to me tonight / tomorrow, and I'll bore you silly.

Incidentally you loose around 5% of the bittering power of the hops.

As for quantity . . . move the aroma addition to first wort . . . while you run off your wort.

When you mention FWH ..... :hmm:
Is it to put the hops in the boiler before the the wort ?
Or to get the wort boiling then add the hops?

BB :hmm:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
When you mention FWH ..... :hmm:
Is it to put the hops in the boiler before the the wort ?
That is correct, the hops go in the boiler, and then the sweet wort from the mash tun is run onto them. The extended soak at mashing temps 'fixes' the aroma in the wort , and produces a rounder softer bitterness.
Plus the hop oils added help prevent a massive foamy boil over, as the wort Coppers Up

I've never thought of doing this... what a great idea! I'm brewing an Amarillo/Cascade IPA tonight, so I'll give it a go.

Cheers :cheers:

I'll be honest and say that I don't think it does much for aroma, but the bitterness/flavour is certainly more refined.

Back