Superdelic hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local brewery of choice (apart from me of course wink...) - beerriff have made a beer with superdelic hops.

Never come across these before but wow very tasty I was so impressed I bought a couple of cans to take away.

Is NZ becoming the goto place for new world hops? - Galaxy from AUS is still one of my favorites.

My local brewery of choice (apart from me of course wink...) - beerriff have made a beer with superdelic hops.

Never come across these before but wow very tasty I was so impressed I bought a couple of cans to take away.
You might want to check out the previous thread on Super Derek.
Is NZ becoming the goto place for new world hops? - Galaxy from AUS is still one of my favorites.
They're their own thing, I don't see the need to lump them together with other countries. Their names need some work though....

General consensus on HBT is that Galaxy in recent years has been pretty shonky, certainly at homebrew level, to the extent that a lot of people have pretty much given up on it but supposedly the Aussies are taking steps to fix the quality. You always have problems when a variety suddenly gets popular, you have a lot of farmers growing it who don't know all its foibles and also just the difficulty of managing a harvest when you suddenly have a lot more of one variety which all wants picking at the same time.

They're their own thing, I don't see the need to lump them together with other countries. Their names need some work though....

General consensus on HBT is that Galaxy in recent years has been pretty shonky, certainly at homebrew level, to the extent that a lot of people have pretty much given up on it but supposedly the Aussies are taking steps to fix the quality. You always have problems when a variety suddenly gets popular, you have a lot of farmers growing it who don't know all its foibles and also just the difficulty of managing a harvest when you suddenly have a lot more of one variety which all wants picking at the same time.

I found the same thing happened with Mosaic, where it went from pretty much my favourite hop, to me very rarely using it.

I think the same thing happened with Sabro. I seem to remember the coconut being subtle and pleasant when it came out. Tastes insanely cedary/herbal to me now.

Vocation Brewery have done a Superdelic ale with phantasm powder the result? Hop water totally OTT on the amounts of hops in it made it undrinkable to me. On the other hand Im quaffing my own superdelic ale used phanatsm with it as well tastes bang on. That and Nectaron are my favourite NZ Hops of the Moment.

Bingo! - I spoke to the brewer at beerriff and he mentioned that larger brewers can choose the fields the hops come from so that would totally explain why hbers are offered whats left which may not be premium, and yes I tried out Galaxy at the start of the wave. It was amazing but I concur that its been variable more of late.

Ta for the link. athumb..

Back