Fool on the Hill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Decided from now on I'm going to name all my beers after Beatles songs ...
Batch Size: 25.00 L

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 13.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 61.0 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Water treated with CRS in HLT

4.50 kg Pale Malt
0.30 kg Caraamber
0.20 kg Biscuit Malt
40.00 gm Pilgrim [11.50 %] (60 min)
30.00 gm Williamette [6.70 %] (20 min)
30.00 gm Williamette [6.70 %] (Aroma)
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 tsp Protafloc (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs S-04

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
68.5 C

Only took a few pics as all the brews look pretty much the same. Got new Mash Tun though (nice one Nick!)
MT1.jpg

MT2.jpg

Moaned in my last two brews that I didn't get a good cold break - so I switched to protafloc. It made a difference!
Break1.jpg

Break2.jpg

OG a little high at 1050 so added a couple of ltrs of water to drop it to 1045 (ish)
OG1.jpg

OG2.jpg

Looks Good :thumb:
I Take it everything went ok with the tun? Was the higher OG to do with higher effiecency because of the tun?
Hope it provides many years as your trusted tun :D

Cheers folks. I used the cara amber and the biscuit for a little 'redness' but although it looks a nice red in the FV, you can see it's more golden in the trial jar. Still looks ok to me :D

Nick ... that's a damn good question. I did everything as I would normally do it so I'll have to say - yes, the increase in efficiency is down to the new tun. Feel free to quote me on that :party:

I'm actually quite worried about the break material .. there seems to be loads of it, it's 'hanging' around in the FV... I can see it there looking at me.
:D

Like the naming of the brews Tony :D
Also like the look of that tun :thumb:

With powdered protofloc I only use 1/4 of a teaspoon, well thats what I was told to use and have nice clear brews

that looks like a lot of break material in the trial jar, hope it settles out for you.

Ah .. I used a level teaspoon of protafloc.. may cut it back next time. :roll:

Well spotted Rob, it is indeed .. empty though unfortunately.. it is awaiting label removal! :D

That's a fine looking brew with which to christen that excellent tun. :cheers:

Tony said:
Decided from now on I'm going to name all my beers after Beatles songs ...
That should keep you busy for a while, you've got a few to choose from.
Eight Days a Week for an easy-going session bitter?
Long and Winding Road for a deceptive brew which slips down easily, until you try to walk.
Here Comes the Sun for a Summer ale?
Wild Honey Pie for a BuzzBee Bitter?
Maxwell's Silver Hammer for a high gravity brew? Buy a ticket to ride or get someone else to drive your car.

Great suggestions there moley!

I figured I needed to use someone who is likely to have more songs that I have brew left to me :shock: Well, there's my new ambition, brew more beers than the Beatles made songs. I'm going for it

:D

Everyone needs an ambition and yours seems quite noble, but please quit before you get to Mean Mr. Mustard.

great looking recipe and i`m very envious of your new tun :lol: I had a few ringwood brews when I was in Dorset the other week - very nice to :cool:

Latest posts

Back