NEIPA - more bitter than expected, what did I do wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To check if it's bitterness or astringency, in your next pint put a pinch of salt in your glass before you pour.
If it tastes less bitter then it's ibus too high for your taste.
If there is no change then it's astringency

Hi BCC go into Brewers friend then select Equipment Profiles and then go to the hop option section and the default you can set is suggested @ 5% that should give you a average IBU reading for dry hopping athumb..
Thanks, that's really helpful!

To check if it's bitterness or astringency, in your next pint put a pinch of salt in your glass before you pour.
I'll definitely try this later today. If it's astringency, would that shed any light on what the cause would be?

Astringency results from phenolics, particularly polyphenols in beer. Phenols arise from the husks of malt and the stems of hops and polymerise to polyphenols during brewing and in beer maturation. These polyphenols include drying, mouth-puckering tannins.
That's why if you look at say Carafe malts they say de-husked as it is not as strong in flavour and less chance of astringency as no husks also anything that creates too much Tannins will usually add to astringency
Many years ago I got astringency in 3 beers on the trot, as soon as I corrected my PH with acidulated malt it was back to normal.

Can you explain the salt IBU thing as I've been having this problem bitterness (even with only <80C hop stand additions and dry hops at 14C) with all my NEIPAs and added salt and it seems then my IBUs must be too high as the taste changed. What is the relationship?

Nothing, in fact you may have done a decent NEIPA, although I admit that "decent NEIPA" sounds like an oxymoron

Back