Football Season 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VAR again -

VAR could not say conclusively that this ball was out so the goal stood, i am not surprised Arsenal fans were fuming on 606.

1699188785172.png

Last edited:
TBF I don't think you can tell from that angle. All of the ball has to be over all of the line. It probably is, but maybe not
If that is the only angle I agree but if that is the only angle they can get then they may as well scrap it anyway as it's not fit for purpose.

what baffles me is why it is only football that has made such a horlicks of VAR - surely they can learn from other sports where it seems to work very well. An example is the recent communication in the Rugby world cup, officials are miked up, its transparent, professional and everyone knows whats going on. Compare that to the shambolic and amatuerish communication released after the Liverpool Tottenham controversy.

Everton have received an immediate 10-point deduction after being found to have breached the Premier League's financial rules.

1700242325542.png

English top-flight clubs are permitted to lose £105m over three years, and an independent commission found Everton's losses to 2021-22 amounted to £124.5m.
The punishment is the biggest sporting sanction in the competition's history and leaves Everton 19th in the table.

The club said they were "both shocked and disappointed" and would appeal.

The Premier League referred Everton to an independent commission in March but did not reveal the specifics of the club's alleged breach.

That month, Everton posted financial losses for the fifth successive year after reporting a £44.7m deficit in 2021-22.

They admitted to being in breach of the profit and sustainability rules (PSR) for the period ending 2021-22, and the commission found in favour of the Premier League following a five-day hearing in October.

In a statement, Everton said: "The club does not recognise the finding that it failed to act with the utmost good faith and it does not understand this to have been an allegation made by the Premier League during the course of proceedings.

"Both the harshness and severity of the sanction imposed by the commission are neither a fair nor a reasonable reflection of the evidence submitted.

"The club will also monitor with great interest the decisions made in any other cases concerning the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules."

The points deduction comes at a time of significant uncertainty at Everton.

In September, owner Farhad Moshiri agreed to sell his 94% stake in the club to American investment fund 777 Partners. The takeover is going through the regulatory processes and, before this ruling, sources said it was on course to be completed by next month.

Full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67448714

I think Man City will be next they must have broken the rules by a country mile, and are still under investigation
I am sure if they had anything on us they would have punished us long before now.

They are saying it goes back as far as 2009 and it'll be 2027 before we hear anything.

If they find anything do you honestly think they are going to do anything major to the only team that has won the trebble since 1999, I don't think so.

Last edited:
I am sure if they had anything on us they would have punished us long before now.

They are saying it goes back as far as 2009 and it'll be 2027 before we hear anything.
Clearly a lot bigger than just not making money. 2027 might be the end of city.

Clearly a lot bigger than just not making money. 2027 might be the end of city.
I assume that's wishful thinking.

As I said above -

If they find anything do you honestly think they are going to do anything major to the only team that has won the trebble since 1999, I don't think so.

I have read several articles saying the investigation is "shrouded in secrecy" if they find anything the punishment will be a slapped wrist they are not going to take down the most successful club in recent premier League history.

MANCHESTER, England Nov 15 (Reuters) -
After capturing their first treble last season, Manchester City reported on Wednesday that the success was matched off the pitch with record profits, their highest ever revenue, and recognition as the most valuable soccer brand in the world.

The club, which has been majority owned by Sheikh Mansour since August of 2008, earned revenues of 712.8 million pounds ($889.4 million) to June 2023 according to Manchester City FC Ltd.'s annual report, an increase of 99.8 million (16.3%) over the previous season, along with a record net profit of 80.4 million pounds.

I have read several articles saying the investigation is "shrouded in secrecy" if they find anything the punishment will be a slapped wrist they are not going to take down the most successful club in recent premier League history.

MANCHESTER, England Nov 15 (Reuters) -
After capturing their first treble last season, Manchester City reported on Wednesday that the success was matched off the pitch with record profits, their highest ever revenue, and recognition as the most valuable soccer brand in the world.

The club, which has been majority owned by Sheikh Mansour since August of 2008, earned revenues of 712.8 million pounds ($889.4 million) to June 2023 according to Manchester City FC Ltd.'s annual report, an increase of 99.8 million (16.3%) over the previous season, along with a record net profit of 80.4 million pounds.
Why not? The Italians took down Juventus

this all illustrates the excess complexity of FFP. What exactly is it trying to achieve ? It certainly doesn't help with competitive balance, indeed, it actually makes the fairtale Jack Walker created at Blackburn much harder. In the NFL and NBA, a simple team level salary cap has done wonders for competitive balance - and it is much easier to monitor and enforce. Once again, the pig headedness of football administrators prevents them learning from successful models in other sports - just like VAR.

If UEFA replaced FFP with a simple Europe wide team salary cap, it would be much simpler to monitor, and help the smaller clubs.

Why not? The Italians took down Juventus

I have heard many discussions on the subject on 5 live and the majority of people who have given an opinion have said if they do find something they will get a slap on the wrist, i imagine we will have the best legal team money can buy making sure the outcome is fair, lets see how this goes in four years.

i think one issue with City (which again illustrates the absurdity of FFP) is the treatment of the Etihad airways sponsorship. The companies have the same owner, so is this counted as income or an owner injection (which would normally look like a loss). There's an obvious incentive for city's owners to channel all donations via Etihad, to work around FFP.

I have heard many discussions on the subject on 5 live and the majority of people who have given an opinion have said if they do find something they will get a slap on the wrist, i imagine we will have the best legal team money can buy making sure the outcome is fair, lets see how this goes in four years.

I am sure all callers to 5 live are either involved or experts in this field.
I am also sure that Everton could have afforded the best legal team....

Latest posts

Back