Football Season 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been doing some research on Alonso, during his playing days he was coached by, Peligrini, Jose, Benitez, and the man i consider the greatest coach ever Ancelotti, i would say going off his playing days who has coached him what he has learned and putting to good practice now at Leverkusen his age 42, he would be my no1 prime suspect for the Liverpool job for 2 decades, i would like to hear peoples thoughts on this and i mean serious football thoughts

Wow

National League South side Maidstone United pulled off one of the great FA Cup shocks to knock Championship high-flyers Ipswich Town out of the fourth round at Portman Road.

Superb counter-attack strikes from Lamar Reynolds and Sam Corne - Maidstone's only attempts on target - earned the non-leaguers an astonishing victory over a side 98 places above them in the football pyramid.

BBC NEWS - West Brom 0-2 Wolves
A huge fight has broken out in the stands and the referee won't let the players kick-off until it's sorted.

The police are heavily involved here and you can see fans throwing objects. Really bad to see this.

The ITV commentators say there are fights in two different sections of the ground, with police having to get involved in each one.
It's been three or four minutes now.

I think some Wolves fans have celebrated in the home end and the West Brom fans have reacted to it.

Wolves' players are walking down the tunnel now. A West Brom fan runs onto the pitch with stewards taking him away.

West Brom's players are off the pitch now as well. This is really like the bad old days.

The game has been suspended for now. The fighting is still going on.

Absolutely love a derby but you have to ask what kind of juncture you’ve reached in life as a grown man if you use football for a fight and only because you’ve got a big crowd with you. Embarrassing.

1706449589802.png

Kyle Bartley has come out with a child in his arms and I think that must be where the families are sat. That is why many of the West Brom players ran over to that corner. My assumption is that is where the West Brom families are.

There are loads of police and stewards in the far corner trying to get the situation under control.

Immediately after Matheus Cunha's goal, missiles were thrown from into and out of the visitors section.

The fighting started at the other end of the stadium. A fan has been taken past me by police.

There are huge numbers of police in the far corner trying to restore order.

It does look as though things have calmed down but the players are still down in the dressing room.

A reminder that these two haven't played each other in front of fans for 12 years.

There are two lots of yellow topped stewards at either end of the stadium, there is a lot of singing and baiting from the fans of both sides.

This is going to be a horrible ending and goodness knows what happens when the fans get out of the stadium.

The stadium announcer has just said the game will not re-start without supporters returning to their seats.

The players are gathering in the tunnel, but there's no word on whether this game is going to continue or not.

Last edited:
It says in the comments above "A reminder that these two haven't played each other in front of fans for 12 years" is this due to crowd trouble if it is what the **** were Wolves fans doing in the oppositions end.

I think some Wolves fans have celebrated in the home end and the West Brom fans have reacted to it.

An Ipswich Town fan says she felt like she had been "hit by a bus" when a Maidstone United fan landed on her from above during an FA Cup game.

Jo Peters, 51, from Butley, near Woodbridge, was on the lower tier of the Ipswich's Cobbold Stand when she says a man fell from the tier above.
Ms Peters has said she believes there was a "lack of policing" and criticised the club for its response.
Ipswich Town said it is investigating the incident.
Suffolk Police have been contacted for comment.
Footage of the fall, which happened at Ipswich's Portman Road ground on Saturday, showed the man was with the away supporters in the upper tier for his team's 2-1 FA Cup win.
He is shown rolling down the roof and falling off the edge onto the tier below.

Ms Peters said she was leaning forward when she heard a number of banging sounds and then a thump.
She said: "I feel like I've been hit by a bus - all down my right hand side and upper body and my neck are so sore."
"It's the shock of it, it shouldn't have happened."

Ms Peters, who is going to hospital to be checked over, said she keeps replaying the moment over and over in her mind.
"There was a little boy two seats from my left and if that man had landed on him... it keeps going over in my mind and I feel quite angry," she said.
She said stewards came over and took her for first aid but she said it did not feel like she got the help she needed.

Ms Peters said she reported feeling breathless and "like my heart was going to come out of my chest", but she eventually returned to her seat, before leaving early fearing being injured again.
She said she approached officials from the club but was told by a member of that "it was an accident, accidents happen".
"I feel really let down by the club," she said.

She and her partner, Aaron Rose, 43, said they did not think there was enough policing at the match.
"It wasn't policed or stewarded right," Mr Rose said.
He said he wants assurances form the club to prevent it from happening again.
An Ipswich Town spokesman said: "The club is aware of an incident involving a Maidstone United supporter in the Cobbold Stand at Portman Road during today's Emirates FA Cup fourth-round fixture.
"The club is investigating the issue thoroughly."

BBC Sport

The other end of the table is interesting.

Sheffield Utd and Burnley are probably too bad to get out of it, but who could be third bottom?

Everton might get another points deduction. Forest might get one too. Luton have a bit of fight about them, while Brentford look bad, and Palace are not good and have a serious injury crisis.

That's would be my choice.
Palace fans are terrified right now. And I should know as I am one!

The only wins recently have been entirely down to the brilliance of Olise and Eze, who are both out for a couple of months. The defensive solidity went out the window a couples of months ago thanks to a season ending injury to Doucoure, and now Guehi is injured too.

Crystal Palace say manager Roy Hodgson is stable in hospital after he was "taken ill" during training on Thursday morning.

Palace cancelled a news conference after the 76-year-old became unwell.

It was widely reported on Thursday morning that Palace are set to sack Hodgson, with the club 15th in the Premier League and five points clear of the relegation zone.

Palace face Everton at Goodison Park in the Premier League on Monday.

"Following news that Roy Hodgson was taken ill during today's training session, we can confirm that he is now stable and is currently undergoing tests in hospital," the club said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

"Everybody at the club sends their best wishes to Roy for a speedy recovery."

BBC Sport understands that Hodgson is set to lose his job, with former Eintracht Frankfurt boss Oliver Glasner a strong favourite to replace him.

Hodgson took charge of his 200th match as Palace manager earlier this week, with his side beaten 3-1 at Selhurst Park by Chelsea.

The club have won three league games since their victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford in September and have lost 10 of their past 16 top-flight matches.

The former England boss is in his second stint in charge of Palace, having returned for the final 10 games of last season when he signed a short-term deal to take over from Patrick Vieira.

He led the club to 11th in the table before agreeing to continue to manage the side for the 2023-24 campaign.

Supporters have displayed banners in recent weeks calling for Hodgson to be sacked and shared their frustration with how the club is being run.

They voiced their displeasure when he substituted Eberechi Eze after 64 minutes in their FA Cup third-round defeat against Everton last month, with some supporters at Goodison Park chanting "you don't know what you're doing".

Hodgson was also criticised by some Palace fans for sending on Michael Olise as a substitute at half-time against Brighton with the team 3-0 down, despite the winger struggling with injury.

Olise lasted 11 minutes before suffering a recurrence of a hamstring problem.

Glasner, 49, lifted the Europa League with Frankfurt in 2022 during his first season in charge when they beat Scottish side Rangers on penalties in the final.

After guiding Frankfurt to the knockout stages of the Champions League last year, the Austrian left the club at the end of the season with a year still left on his contract, following a 10-match winless run in the Bundesliga.

BBC Sport

Latest posts

Back