• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For sale: 70L Stainless Steel Boil Kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chastuck

Reaction score
Over the past year I have upgraded my three vessel brewery, so I have a redundant 70L stainless steel boil kettle and a 50L stainless steel mash tun for sale. I will post the mash tun sale separately, so this post will be about the boil kettle.

The boil kettle was crafted from a Bergland stainless steel catering pot. This pot is a marvellous beast and is extremely well made using quality workshop tools. Top grade parts are used throughout. Anyone on the brewing forums familiar with my builds will know I make a very professional brewing vessel. The pot sits on a fabricated SS skirt 2mm thick x 100mm high. The 70L pot is mechanically bolted to the skirt with stainless steel fittings. The cavity within the skirt is filled with expanded foam for insulation and covered in a stainless steel bottom plate. A foam insulated outer jacket will also be supplied. The vessel is bottom draining with the 1'' BSP SS marine skin fitting mounted at the bottom front.

The pot has a sight glass and one inch full bore stainless steel ball valve. A 1'' to 1/2'' SS bush will be supplied for utilising 1/2'' BSP run-off fittings if required. All plumbing fittings are 316 SS from BES. Two Backer type kettle elements are used, each rated at 2750 kW, with specially made stainless steel shrouds to protect the plug contacts. These shrouds are pretty unique, being bespoke made and are no longer available. The two power leads are 2 metres long and made from heavy duty flex. The pot also has a 2.5'' temperature dial fitted and I will include a blanking nut so that the dial can be taken out if not required. I will supply a copper hop filter which is readily dismantled for easy cleaning. The dimensions of the pot, including the skirt, are 545mm high and diameter 465mm. The handle to handle width is 543mm. The total weight of the pot and its fittings is 13.5 kg. A spare kettle element and a spare sight glass tube will be provided.

The actual cost to me of building it was over £350. I can supply a spreadsheet of all components and costs if required. The boil kettle is ready to use without the trouble or worry of having to build one yourself. I am asking £200 ono for the pot. This may seem a lot, but it really is a fine piece of construction and will last a lifetime.

15978406410_f0502881de.jpg

15545944573_7dcabacc29.jpg

15545944893_b6ef79277c.jpg

15978406820_209a93640d.jpg

16165712955_89044a6e60.jpg

15989414420_336b078765.jpg

I would prefer any interested buyer to collect it from my address in SE London, or you can arrange your own courier. I will deliver it free of charge to anywhere in London south of the Thames or to any southern Home Counties. Payment by PayPal as 'family', or direct to my bank account. PM me if you are interested or want more information.

Last edited:
I'm potentially interested in the Boiler and the Mash Tun, depending on the price for the pair. I am on the Hampshire / West Sussex Border (PO10 7) - would you deliver to there?

I'm interested in both, but would need to work out dimensions etc. to price a courier to Edinburgh. (covering bases by replying to both posts)

James

I'm going to withdraw my interest at this stage as with 3 vessels required (liquor, mash and boil) I am not going to have the space so will consider an alternative all in one solution. These do look like great quality units so am kicking myself a bit!

I'm interested in both, but would need to work out dimensions etc. to price a courier to Edinburgh. (covering bases by replying to both posts)

James

OK James. I do have two big boxes I can put them in. Let me know if you want to go ahead.

Could be interested if this is still going? looks like a great build.

My only concern is that the elements are a bit too meaty to run through standard sockets for extended periods. Are there 2.4KW elements that would fit the holes/shrouds that are readily available?

Could be interested if this is still going? looks like a great build.

My only concern is that the elements are a bit too meaty to run through standard sockets for extended periods. Are there 2.4KW elements that would fit the holes/shrouds that are readily available?
Thanks for your interest, but both my pots are sold now. To answer your question, 2.4 kw elements use the same diameter hole so would fit. Running 2.75 kw elements is ok as long as you use two different ring mains, or perhaps one ring main and a cooker outlet with a built in socket. Max power drain from the two elements combined is around 24 amps.

Not to worry, thanks for letting me know and for the advice, sounds like I would be safe with the bigger elements then.

Back