Force carbonating...just can't get it right

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heggsy

Reaction score
I'm now on my 4th and 5th corny kegs of lager and cider and no matter how much pressure I put into the kegs, the brew always tastes flat to me. Does anyone have an idiot-proof method I could use?

Here's what I do:

1. Chill the keg down to about 2-4C.
2. Connect the gas at 30PSI.
3. Leave connected for 24-36 hours.
4. Disconnect gas and vent keg.

That has worked every time for me. Sometimes too well and I've over carbonated.

Other times, I just hook the keg up at serving PSI and kegerator temp if I'm not in a hurry and leave it a week or so. That has also worked well.

I'm also on my first run in with cornie kegs and I've found out through trial and error, that the colder the beer when force carbonating the better. Gas just doesnt seem to get absorbed into the beer if its around room temperature.
So I would suggest you put your keg in the fridge after filling with beer for at least a day before trying to gas it.

Another vote for cold - even if you don't have a brewfridge, you can get cool-pack jackets for them, or you can bung them in a builder's bucket (or even an FV) with water and ice to cool it.

It makes a huge difference, and also helps stop foaming when serving too.

Also my 1st 2 cornies on the go, I currently have them sat on garage floor as I don't like cold bitter and the temp controlled fridge is busy in fermenter mode.

I currently have the gas off, when I serve a pint I give the cornie a quick squirt of CO2 just ensure its sealed etc , is this good practice or am I being paranoid?

If I leave the gas on all the time at say 5 psi will the beer continue to absorb co2 or will it just sit there quiet happy?

I guess it's like a big can of coke really?

Pondering next project.....whirlpool chiller and Herms system :hmm:

If you leave your co2 on, just double check you have no leaks in your system. Nothing worse than beer but no gas to dispense with, not to mention paying for more co2 :doh:

Don't ask how I know :oops:

I usually chill down the keg and then if I am in a hurry I set the reg to 30 psi, check for leaks, and then give the keg a good shake (remember to purge all the O2 out of the headspace first) and then set it to the desired carb pressure and put it back under refrigeration...it usually is ready by the next day. I also turn the gas off between serving days but turn it on when serving to maintain the desired carbonation.

Loads of good advice there, thanks. I'm guessing that if I'm doing lagers / ciders I can go higher on the psi (maybe 40?) to get the proper 'fizz'?

Latest posts

Back