Forced Carbonation and Keg conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening wise ones. I have dipped my toes into the world of kegging. My kegerator is built and set to 11 C; my first keg has been filled with what I am hoping will be a fantastic Rye Pale Ale hopped with Mandarina Bavaria. I have my CO2 on and set to about 13 psi and everything hooked up to carbonate. My question is around the need for any condition Do I

a) Give it a week and then start drinking - it'll be lovely
b) Give it 2-4 weeks like I would when I bottle and it'll be even better

I am not sure what the rule of thumb is with kegging when it comes to conditioning time or whether it's even necessary once my beer is carbonated.

There is certainly no harm in having a sample after a week, some beers condition quicker tthan others.Just a case of suck it and see.
Most will be carbonated by 7/10 days.

some will crank it up higher to have drinkable beer in 3 days or so. I find though that head stability isnt great this quickly. Definitely needs longer and I personally do similar PSI setting for about 10 days and that works a lot better

Personally I burst carb (40psi and shake the kegs for a count of 40) and have a drink about 30 mins later and then set to serving pressure. Beer def improves with ages but I find hoppy APAs very drinkable on day one. That said I made a black lager (Barclays Perkins recipe) that was vile for about 6 months. Life got in the ways of me pouring it away and about a year after it was brewed I tried some more before planning to ditch it - and it was delicious! Gone down very well with everyone who has tried it.

Latest posts

Back