Formative Years (beer)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think lager tops was popular in my day. For some reason I never tried it but some concoction resembling a pint of lager with a shot of drambuie (with glass) dropped into it sticks in my mind.
Might give that a go!

I think lager tops was popular in my day. For some reason I never tried it but some concoction resembling a pint of lager with a shot of drambuie (with glass) dropped into it sticks in my mind.
Will give that a go!

Where I come from a lager top is just a nearly full pint of lager with a dash of lemonade added at then end. Essentially a lager for those who don't like the taste of lager.

Might be something different in the north though?

I remember drinking many pints of larger, cider and a splash of blackcurrant we called it snakebite but i know from a previous thread its called different things by people from different parts of the country.

Remember spewing up and thinking your insides were coming out when you saw all the red in it. :laugh8:

I remember drinking many pints of larger, cider and a splash of blackcurrant we called it snakebite but i know from a previous thread its called different things by people from different parts of the country.

Remember spewing up and thinking your insides were coming out when you saw all the red in it. :laugh8:

I still call that snakebite

Where I come from a lager top is just a nearly full pint of lager with a dash of lemonade added at then end. Essentially a lager for those who don't like the taste of lager.

Might be something different in the north though?
In Scotland it’s exactly as you described.

I always knew it as diesel too.

One more for "diesel" here. Went through quite a long phase having diesel with a pernod depth charge at the same time as imitating a truck driver sounding the horn ( the truck presumably being diesel propelled)

I remember Skol - A blast from the past.

Bizarrely ( to my mind) i was in Lankawi (Malaysia) on hols a couple of years ago and the only sessionable daytime beer i could find was tins of skol. Still popular in some parts of the world. Never been but i think it may be big in South America

Bizarrely ( to my mind) i was in Lankawi (Malaysia) on hols a couple of years ago and the only sessionable daytime beer i could find was tins of skol. Still popular in some parts of the world. Never been but i think it may be big in South America
I was going to reply and say “it’s oroginally Brazilian isn’t it?”. Good job I googled first because it was “invented” in Alloa.

From Wiki
Currently, Skol is one of the most popular beer brands in Brazil, still trailing Brahma beer.[6] It was originally produced by Caracu, which was bought by Brahma in 1980. In 1999, Brahma merged with Antarctica and became AmBev, then InBev, and later AB InBev.[7] Skol beer became internationally recognized as a Brazilian beer, though not initially conceived in Brazil.[8]

Started off drinking, some years ago now, Stones & John Smiths & occasionally Tetleys & Guinness. Eventually graduated to more interesting beers, such Old Peculiar, after discovering real ale as a student.
Although I don't particularly miss those old beers, as things are far more varied and interesting these days. I must admit to a certain amount of nostalgia.
I've got to say that some modern beers are a bit dimensionless in the bitterness department & come across as frothy, fruity shakes rather than beer.
On the other hand some of those older beers were, to the teenage me, way too bitter & were like tasting bad medicine. Had to be done though!
Does anyone remember the old Wards? If you ever had it on draught then you'll no doubt find it a hard memory to dispell. A good pint, if you could find a place that served one, was great. The standard pint usually smelled like rotten eggs though. Lord knows how they managed to brew such a beer!

Back