Free Glass Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if you thought this was a giveaway but i thought i would share my success with you on this

A while ago i read a thread where someone mentioned getting free bottles from a recycling centre. The problem with this (certainly in nottinghamshire) is that they cant let waste leave the site and the bottle banks are sealed.

So on the way home from the third site i stopped by a pub. It was about 10:30am and not open. I knocked on the door and explained what i wanted. They let me go through their glass bin. I got 30 kopparberg/newcastle brown/magners out as they had their bin emptied recently.

A bit steptoe and son i know but i did get 30 free bottles.

I then went to my local and they said the same. About 20 from their bin but was told i could come back any time but if i came on a saturday or sunday i would have a bigger haul...

Bit of a tip. The best bottles are kopparberg. The labels wash off easily and they are short enough to stack in crates. They're also greeny brown in colour. Then old speckled hen but are a bit longer and clear - although i got none of these crom the pub - just what i bought from tesco. Then bulmers but a good soak is needed to get off the back label and the pesky foil. Newky brown need a good soak too but they are nearly a pint (but clear).

Might be teaching you to suck eggs here but i thought i would share my success. Nothing wrong with it. Just take them home. Fill up the bath. Get them clean and delabelled. Then sterilise as and when.

I hope someone finds this info helpful...

This is actually a great idea. I've been just collecting bottles on my own but going to a local bar/pub is even better. Definitely gonna ask mine.

This is actually a great idea. I've been just collecting bottles on my own but going to a local bar/pub is even better. Definitely gonna ask mine.

It certainly can't hurt. I'm quite lucky because my local is a busy hungry horse but making a few regular trips should yield just as many from a smaller pub. Or if you know them well they might save certain bottles for you... espescially if you have a few jars when you visit :drunk:

I got 40 Magners bottles from my local rugby club on Saturday - enough for 1 batch.

Get your water hot and the labels fall of most of the flavours and the foil peels off fairly easily.

At the end of the rugby season, the local cricket club does the same for me. 365 days bottle supply!!! :D

i got 40 magners bottles from my local rugby club on saturday - enough for 1 batch.

Get your water hot and the labels fall of most of the flavours and the foil peels off fairly easily.

At the end of the rugby season, the local cricket club does the same for me. 365 days bottle supply!!! :d

epic!!! No need to pay for bottles ever!!!

Good idea,

I'll have to visit a few more locals an ask the question

Scaff

I have a very friendly local who let me have my pick of their used bottles. However, being down in Somerset we have a lot of cider drinkers and it turns out that Thatchers labels are impossible to remove. No amount of soaking makes any difference - the only way to remove the glue after picking off the labels is with white spirit and a lot of scrubbing. BEWARE the Thatchers bottles!

Of course, if anyone's found a better way of removing stubborn label glue, please let me know!

Forget bottles with plasticised labels - the labels peel off, but the glue left behind doesn't even come off with carbon tetra-chloride (similar to nail polish remover) or oxygen based stain removers after soaking.

Crabbies bottles are a no-go for this reason also. :-x

My solution for non removable label is to leave them on, it's only the inside that is important :-)

On a side note I do hate the non removable labels since I collect labels. Though some breweries have been nice and have send me labels without the attached bottle, when asked.

Forget bottles with plasticised labels - the labels peel off, but the glue left behind doesn't even come off with carbon tetra-chloride (similar to nail polish remover) or oxygen based stain removers after soaking.

Crabbies bottles are a no-go for this reason also. :-x

White spirit & elbow grease gets it off.

I have a very friendly local who let me have my pick of their used bottles. However, being down in Somerset we have a lot of cider drinkers and it turns out that Thatchers labels are impossible to remove. No amount of soaking makes any difference - the only way to remove the glue after picking off the labels is with white spirit and a lot of scrubbing. BEWARE the Thatchers bottles!

Of course, if anyone's found a better way of removing stubborn label glue, please let me know!

marstons, black sheep and any adnams bottles are the same. They require serious graft!!!

Im opting for kopparberg bottles from now on... nice and easy to remove and the glue washes off with little to no effort!!!

I am lucky as my next door neighbour drinks about 5 large bottles of Peroni (660ml) every day without fail, so I too have an endless supply! :cheers:

Banks Bitter is £1 per 500ml bottle in Morrisons at the moment. The nice brown bottles have labels that soak off easily and the beers quite nice to !

Banks Bitter is £1 per 500ml bottle in Morrisons at the moment. The nice brown bottles have labels that soak off easily and the beers quite nice to !

They're only 99p in aldi... i bought 8 on monday... tha k you for informing me about the labels. I havent attempted them yet but it's good to know!

Agreed. Banks's is actually a nice pint...

Latest posts

Back