Freeview/Freesat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strangely, the only size had I can recall reading about (Freesat) failing is the 500gb version. I'm not saying the 1tb doesn't occasionally fail but I've not seen any mention of it 🤞

Cheers Tom

Strangely, the only size had I can recall reading about (Freesat) failing is the 500gb version. I'm not saying the 1tb doesn't occasionally fail but I've not seen any mention of it 🤞

Cheers Tom

It may be because the disk is twice the size it gets half the hammering, total guesswork here.

I have edited the post with a different video, having read a few posts in forums it seems the way to go is to replace the dead HDD with a 2 TB SSD if you are unlucky enough to have a HDD fail, i wish i had known what i do now when mine broke.

Crucial SSD prices and sizes -

https://uk.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct500mx500ssd1

1704900391322.png

Last edited:
I have read about people doing that. One thing I've just learnt is only the newer SSD's have something called "wear-levelling algorithms". Supposedly makes them last longer in a high use device like a PVR. Who'd have thought that all that continual recording into the time shift buffer would take it's toll? 😉

Cheers Tom

The last line of the video "So dont throw your freesat box away when it starts playing up" asad1

All flash based memory devices should include wear leveling, but many never have(even expensive industrial spec ones from reputable manufacturers).
Another problem is the way the file systems work, by repeatedly updating small amounts of data.
SSDs should really use a specific flash memory file system. It's why SSD drives in computers don't last anything like as long as you would expect.

Latest posts

Back