Fridge light skunk beer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeltz said:
winelight said:
No - cheaper in that you don't have to buy two mains sockets.
What's the 2nd one for?

One for heating one for chilling.

I would agree with Nic it is far simpler to build a temp controller with 2 plug sockets which you just plug the fridge and heater in. It also leaves the temp controller available or use on other fridges fermentation cupboards etc. I use mine on the brew day to control the HLT temp, in the fermentation cupboard to control a heater and my Maxi beer chiller, and also when not in use to control my cheese cave. So to me buying a few sockets was cheaper than 3 temp controllers.

Also unless you have the skill to dismember the fridges wiring circuits, then I would leave well alone, you may do more harm than good to both the fridge and you. :whistle:

What you end up with is simpler. Fewer cables, connectors, thermostats, lights...

Actually, it's about the same amount of work to connect the cable into the connector block on the fridge as to connect it to a flying socket. Possibly fewer screws to undo, even. Not really much difference though.

winelight said:
What you end up with is simpler. Fewer cables, connectors, thermostats, lights...

Actually, it's about the same amount of work to connect the cable into the connector block on the fridge as to connect it to a flying socket. Possibly fewer screws to undo, even. Not really much difference though.

No its not you have to remove all the other cables connectors lights thermostats otherwise you will have just the same number of cables, connectors, thermostats, lights... as before.

So how is that simpler

Plus you can't transfer your temp controller to other uses.

graysalchemy said:
Plus you can't transfer your temp controller to other uses.

Good point - but I was making a fermentation fridge, rather than a general purpose temp controller. It will always be a fermentation fridge. Indeed, it is always in use, so now I want another one!

I must be missing something. When I made my fermenter freezer, I just wired the STC to the mains, the freezer to the STC and the heater tube to the STC. Set the temp range I require and it then heats up, then cools down as it needs to. Nothing removed from the freezer. When ever i go and check fermentations the temp is always with in a couple of points of a degree either side and is neither cooling or heating, it obviously does but in such small times that I have never witnessed it

I don't think you're missing anything, that's how an stc is wired after all. However what some people do is connect the fridge and heater to the stc via a pair of sockets rather than direct, to make it removable or transferable.
I think the debate above is about which method is simpler :D

Latest posts

Back