Gone with the wheat - pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimboscott

Reaction score
So.. I got a bit excited in the summer and decided to build a kegerator of sorts. Before I discovered clarity ferm, and because the girlfriend is coeliac, I opted to make my first brew a gluten free kit and opted for the gone with the wheat pilsner . A two can kit made from sorghum so no added fermentables and I didn't mess around (pimp) it as is my first time brewing Gluten Free.

Fermented in the bucket according to instructions at around 20c from 6th September. I'm assuming this is an ale yeast due to the temperatures involved but may have been a Californian lager yeast which can brew warmer.

Fermentation completed in 10 days but I gave it a week or so longer until 24th September and it was really light and pretty clear by this stage too. then transferred directly into my 2*10 corny kegs. Connected the gas at 10psi and left it.

Now... I haven't brewed a lager in a long time and didn't get chance to cold crash but my kegs are in a fridge at 2c temp controlled by an inkbird so should be conditioning nicely now.

While I'll leave drinking this in earnest until the end of November,.my findings so far aren't great. The beer itself is clear as anything and has nice carbonation, though almost precisely zero head on it upon pouring. This may be a lines issue which I'll sort, but... The flavour after 5+ weeks of kegging is very underwhelming, it's thin and has an unusual taste to it which I'm guessing is the sorghum because there's nothing 'off' per se, it just isn't particularly nice.

I'll update this once it's had another few weeks (2 months total conditioning) but not overly hopeful at this stage and think I'll revert to using clarity ferm moving forwards if a big improvement isn't seen.

2/10 so far...

Latest posts

Back