fruit cocktail syrup wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltei

Reaction score
Tight me.......so when I saw the kitchen staff at my school chucking out the syrup from the fruit cocktails, pineapple slices etc etc I thought I'd try doing something with it. Now the collection of source liquid is infinately variable so each brew is different, some nectar some rank, but following the process of adding the contents into a dj adding a bag of sugar and a sachet of wine yeast its pretty basic and cheap enough to clear the drain with if it turns out a bit "blerahble". I let it ferment as normal wine and bottle it when it stops bubbling from the air lock. The success rate is favourable at the moment but any tips to improve the process would be grand........by the way I'm not a pupil at the school.......or the headmaster, he can afford to drink cognac in his tea!

Tight me.......so when I saw the kitchen staff at my school chucking out the syrup from the fruit cocktails, pineapple slices etc etc I thought I'd try doing something with it. Now the collection of source liquid is infinately variable so each brew is different, some nectar some rank, but following the process of adding the contents into a dj adding a bag of sugar and a sachet of wine yeast its pretty basic and cheap enough to clear the drain with if it turns out a bit "blerahble". I let it ferment as normal wine and bottle it when it stops bubbling from the air lock. The success rate is favourable at the moment but any tips to improve the process would be grand........by the way I'm not a pupil at the school.......or the headmaster, he can afford to drink cognac in his tea!

Interesting idea this is. I recall that the CJJ Berry et al books (long gone) included a fruit cocktail wine, based on the then popular cans containing cubes and chunks of stuff like peach, pear, pineapple perhaps, odd cherry, some other stuff no doubt.

If I were allowed to make wine, I would just add these syrups to either a kit based wine or a WOW, not counting them as an actual ingredient, just adding up the sugar.

I would not give it a great deal of thought, either, TBH. I would just aim for 1.1kg per gallon in total, and, since you may not know the exact quantities, it may be time to get the hydrometer out.:lol:

The sugar, acids, tannin and flavour content of such syrups is usually far too low on their own. The grape content of any decent wine recipe should be, at the very least, 20% for whites and much more for reds. Other fruit provides variations of flavour.

Latest posts

Back