FULLERS 1845 YEAST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster324956

Reaction score
Hi All

First time for me obtaining yeast from the above bottle conditioned ale.

Used two bottles of sediment " 2 inch dregs "' from fullers 1845 , made a starter 300 mill DME boiled for 15 mins cooled and then pitched the leftovers from bottles.
Its now Wednesday and its off like a rocket , i'm pleasantly surprised as my expectations were not high in fact I had a wyeast in the fridge ready .

I have a brew day planned for Saturday ,namely a Hop Back Mild ag clone .Can anyone be so kind as to advise me on the pitching rate for the 1845 ?? do I pitch the current 300 mil or should I make another starter and pitch 600 mil increasing my cell count ??? .

I once did a brew with it years ago and wasn't impressed... I got the feeling it's a bottling yeast not the brewing yeast??

BB

Brew about 1 gallon with it just to see how it turns out and the rest with the back up yeast...

Then if it's poor all isn't lost!! :thumb:

BB

I'll stuff the demi-jon in the larder as its very cool around this time of year .
I have to say I had a sniff today and it smells very much like a Ringwood I used earlier in the year very fruity not unpleasent at all .

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Pitched yeast this morning into wort og 1040 at 18c .Been advised to keep cool so its in the larder.

At present its just sitting there doing nowt , is it me but until the yeast really starts chugging away I tend to fuss around it like a mother hen, when really I should walk away and keep the lid on.

:cheers:

Bengal Lancer yeast is great stuff. Ferments well, I got about 76% attenuation from it...I started it at 17.5C and then upped to 18.5C after 3 or 4 days. It then drops really well, leaving nice clear beer. I'm pretty sure I've read that this is the primary yeast not a bottling strain. I believe you can buy the same yeast as White Labs WLP002 or Wyeast 1968

I did the same thing, drank the beer, not a good experience, then cultured up and made a lovely Porter with it.

Well its off and chugging away at 18c :D will check abv at the weekend and plan to leave for two weeks before kegging and finally bottling after four weeks.

Orlando you said " I did the same thing, drank the beer, not a good experience, then cultured up and made a lovely Porter with it." Was this purely down to yeast or the brew ??

brewster324956 said:
I have to say I had a sniff today and it smells very much like a Ringwood I used earlier in the year very fruity not unpleasent at all

Did you use real Ringwood from the Ringwood Brewery (or a Peter Austin and Partners-built brewery)?

brewster324956 said:
Well its off and chugging away at 18c :D will check abv at the weekend and plan to leave for two weeks before kegging and finally bottling after four weeks.

Orlando you said " I did the same thing, drank the beer, not a good experience, then cultured up and made a lovely Porter with it." Was this purely down to yeast or the brew ??

I meant the original beer to get at the yeast, didn't like it probably because of the Target hops, can't stand them.

Sac , the Ringwood was from Wyeast ,which I split in the usual way and used for a couple of brews good results to, no complaints .
I would imagine the brewery yeast is a completely different animal :shock: .

Orlando , know what you mean now about the ale , although I find that with a lot of commercially brewed ales leave me underwhelmed .Was lucky enough to have tasted Sneck Lifter from draught in Buttermere ,couldn't wait to buy a couple of bottles from my local super market ,totally different experience and frankly wouldnt bother from a bottle again .

Current brew is 1004 and will be kegged x 2 at the weekend . Its dropped out very clear and will be bottled in about four weeks.

:cheers:

brewster324956 said:
Current brew is 1004 and will be kegged x 2 at the weekend . Its dropped out very clear and will be bottled in about four weeks.

That's worryingly low. That level of attenuation suggests the possibility of wild yeast infection, they can ferment the more "difficult" sugars that beer yeasts can't. A 1.040 wort at 75% attenuation should have you finish nearer 1.010. You may "get away" with it but it will at least be very dry as a result and may taste a little hot alcoholically. Given your yeast method there is a greater likelihood of wild yeasts getting involved so keep an eye on it as bacterial infection could also cause it. Hope I'm wrong.

Orlando , confession to make here as i've been a duffer :oops: the reading on my hydrometer was actually 1014 and is now down to 1010 and transferred to a primed keg, did a taste test all is well .
The wild yeast information will be very usefull and something I shall be mindfull of in the future in the mean time i'm off to specsavers .

Thanks again :cheers:

brewster324956 said:
Orlando , confession to make here as i've been a duffer :oops: the reading on my hydrometer was actually 1014 and is now down to 1010 and transferred to a primed keg, did a taste test all is well .
The wild yeast information will be very usefull and something I shall be mindfull of in the future in the mean time i'm off to specsavers .

Thanks again :cheers:

Phew, that's a relief. Thankfully I was wrong but at least it made you look again. One other small point though, actually a big one, make sure that the reading stays the same for a minimum of 3 days before racking/bottling/kegging etc. Too soon and the yeast doesn't get a chance to "clear up" the off flavours and aromas it creates during fermentation. Bit of patience now will reward you with better beer, rush it and you may never condition out the problem you create kegging early.

Latest posts

Back