FV options for longer secondary/ageing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m starting to plan brewing a high gravity beer (RIS) that’ll benefit from a good while ageing. I don’t usually brew anything requiring extended secondary/ageing. I normally use bog-standard buckets and then rack to cornies for carving and serving. Slightly mindful that my buckets aren’t totally airtight, never had a problem before but wondering if it’s an issue if leaving for a good few months.
I could rack to a corny and then transfer to another one before serving to reduce sediment pull through. Also think I’d have to vent the corny periodically during secondary.
I also have a king keg doing nothing, could put an airlock in that and leave it.
Any of you bulk agers use anything specific for longer ageing or any of the methods I’ve thought about?
I’d probably like to avoid spending too much on a fancy FV (or at least I’d like to avoid my wife finding out I’ve spent too much on a fancy FV!!)
TIA for any advice

I just transferred my RIS to a corny yesterday. It will stay there untouched until the fall when I rack it to another corny for serving. Other than that, I've used glass carboys/demijohns to do longer aging.

Latest posts

Back