Garden incinerator bins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Howdy :thumb:

Do you use one of these? I do. I find it incredibly useful (and embarrassingly rewarding) at times.

Do you have any golden rules about using them? After a certain time? Not if the neighbours have got windows open or washing out?

Do you keep the hosepipe on standby, just in case? :doh:

Howdy :thumb:

Do you use one of these? I do. I find it incredibly useful (and embarrassingly rewarding) at times.

Do you have any golden rules about using them? After a certain time? Not if the neighbours have got windows open or washing out?

Do you keep the hosepipe on standby, just in case? :doh:

I use one, and I also enjoy it! I find that you got to get a good flame going. If you don't it smoulders for ages creating billows of smoke (which has been quite unpopular in the past! ):doh:

I use one, and I also enjoy it! I find that you got to get a good flame going. If you don't it smoulders for ages creating billows of smoke (which has been quite unpopular in the past! ):doh:

Don't overload it, especially with damp vegetation. I had a load of Leylandii trimmings to burn a couple of years back, I held off until November 5th and went for it. every time a large branch went on the temperature would drop and the roaring flame would be replaced by palls of smoke until the water content was driven out. Even on bonfire night I heard someone walking down the street behind say 'Christ, it's smoky around here!' :oops:

Lots of very dry, dead wood was loaded and burned last night. WOOF!

:lol:

burny.jpg

They are outlawed in my neck of the woods now. Back in the day everybody had one. Now due to air quality control...fire hazzard...global warming blah blah blah nada. I really miss them actually.

My dad made one from an oil drum. I just tend to chuck everything in to a big pile and let it rip. Such fun

They are outlawed in my neck of the woods now. Back in the day everybody had one. Now due to air quality control...fire hazzard...global warming blah blah blah nada. I really miss them actually.
There are no laws here in the UK which stop you having a bonfire to burn garden waste, except if it becomes a potential regular nuisance to your neighbours.
https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules
So
..."Under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990, a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance". In practice, to be considered a statutory nuisance, a bonfire would have to be a persistent problem, interfering substantially with your well being, comfort or enjoyment of your property."
So you can light bonfires in your garden provided it's not a regular thing, but more importantly you might not want to upset your neighbours, so then maybe garden rubbish is best composted or taken to your recycle centre.

I can remember my old man smoking up some three piece settees in the garden. They were going up a treat when suddenly a gang of firemen came clambering over the roofs of the outbuildings that run alongside the garden....Mrs Chan the shop keeper thought the place was on fire so called them out!!

There are no laws here in the UK which stop you having a bonfire to burn garden waste, except if it becomes a potential regular nuisance to your neighbours.

So you can light bonfires in your garden provided it's not a regular thing, but more importantly you might not want to upset your neighbours, so then maybe garden rubbish is best composted or taken to your recycle centre.

both immediate neighbours away

:thumb:

hence timing :mrgreen:

I sometimes have a burn up in the winter months after dark.
Some a######e has had two fires this weekend,middle of the day,smell was more like burning rubber.Obviously some way away but still stunk horrible.:twisted::twisted:

Some people chuck anything on fires, plastic , rubber the lot, selfish attitude if you ask me.
I have no problem with garden waste, organic material etc being burnt mind, I have an oil drum myself and have a burn up about twice a year, normally late evening during the winter when neighbours windows are shut.

Latest posts

Back