Gas burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one of those. They are fine, but I build up a breeze block shield all around the base and half way up the copper. Enough air gets in, but not 'blustery', and keeps the heat in :thumb:

andrewl46 said:
Bit the bullet and bought two Blichmann burners!
Hopefully won't have any issues connecting them up!!
I used a couple of burners similar to the Blichmann ones, (Bull finch Dual Low Furnace Burner) and while they were great for heating water and wort up to the boil ( I know one commercial brewery who uses them for a 4BBL copper). The thing that they are really good for is using a lot of gas! . . . My heating times were three times the calculated heating time for the 'supposed' KW rating of the burners.

I've swapped my kettle to a 150L one and use a 11KW Paella burner which uses less gas, is quieter, and heating times are very close (90~%) to the calculated value . . . especially as I had a heat shroud made for the burner which traps the waste heat escaping up the sides of the pot and directs it back into the wort.

Blichmann ones look like great burners tough

I ordered the 8.8kw large burner at the weekend from Hamilton's, should be here today or tomorrow.

Aleman said:
I've swapped my kettle to a 150L one and use a 11KW Paella burner which uses less gas, is quieter, and heating times are very close (90~%) to the calculated value . . . especially as I had a heat shroud made for the burner which traps the waste heat escaping up the sides of the pot and directs it back into the wort.

Those Paella burners look pretty neat - are they sturdy?

Do you have any pics of the heat shrouds?

OH MY GOD! I've just seen the output figures for those Paella burners! As per the previous poster, how sturdy are they? Did you have to make a frame for the pan to sit on first? If they are as efficient as they sound, then maybe I would be better getting one of those.

The paella burner is pretty sturdy, but probably would not support the weight of a full 50L pot. In my case the burner is supported off the ground by the heat shroud, so sturdiness of the legs is not important (for me).

The 8.8KW cast tripod burner is sturdy enough to support a full 50L keg1

In order to get the stated output from the Paella burner you need a 50mBar propane reg that is capable of delivering 4Kg of gas per hour. (1Kg per hour is good enough for up to 9KW) and I use the Comap 50-150mBar adjustable one (Rarely at more than 50mBar).

Remember that I get the efficiency I get from my burner because I have a heat shroud without that a lot of heat would be lost up the side.

Back