Gelatin help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcurtis

Reaction score
Hello,

I've a 22l batch of summer fruits cider fermenting and i'm wondering whether I should use some gelatin to remove some of the haze??

I've a pack of 20g gelatin sheets but cannot see anywhere how many sheets to add, anyone got advice on this??

Or, should I not bother with the gelatin and just bottle my batch??

Cheers :D

Dr Oetker gelatin in sachets is about 70p for 6 sachets from Tesco, each one about 20g I think, I use one for each 5 gallon. make up with boiled water that has cooled for a couple of minutes. (boiling it will stop the fining action).

Thanks for the replies, you had any bad experiences with using gelatin??

Still undecided whether I should use it or not.

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. Will try putting this in my bacth tomorrow before bottling on sunday, hope all goes well!!!

I actually found some of this stuff over here - wait for it - 1kg = 119 TL - roughly 42 quid! :shock:
That was the only size i could find it in too. Looks like an add on for wifeys shoppin trip next month along withthe agar too!

You need to boil the water and coil to about 80c this will sterilize the gelatine but not make jelly out of it. Then add it to the fv and gently stir. However I also find putting the fv on a cold floor ie concrete garage floor will help drop yeast out of the beer, especially now that we are heading for a cold snap.

graysalchemy said:
You need to boil the water and coil to about 80c this will sterilize the gelatine but not make jelly out of it. Then add it to the fv and gently stir. However I also find putting the fv on a cold floor ie concrete garage floor will help drop yeast out of the beer, especially now that we are heading for a cold snap.

cheers for the instructions, was wondering exactly how to do it!! :thumb:

Heading for a cold snap??? It's baltic north east of scotland already!!!!! :cry:

Latest posts

Back