Gelatine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie1983

Reaction score
Im new to brewing and im brewing lager most of the time. Im trying to brew light clear beers and i hear gelatine helps. I also use a whirfloc tablet during brewing so not sure if the clash. Do i use any powder gelatine at the local supermarket or is there a specific type for brewing? Im also conditioning in corny kegs with co2, so should i add gelatine when transferring from primary fermenter to keg?

I use the normal baking gelatine from the supermarket. Add it to cold beer (ideally under 5 degrees) directly in the fermenter after fermentation has finished. It then settles to the bottom and you can rack your clear beer off the top of the trub after 24-48hrs. I usually use 1/2 tsp in around 150ml of boiled water I believe (don't have any notes with me at the moment and it's been a while since I've used it)

I tried boiled water but every time ended up with a stringy thing wrapping itself around the spoon or a puck of snot at the bottom of the glass. I put the powder in cold water, leave it a while then nuke it up to 65 to pasteurise out any remaining pig souls.
I let the water cool to around 65-70 degrees before stirring in the gelatine

I got this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MYOAAWX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not the cheapest, but that's because you get a shed load that will last you likely the rest of your brewing career. It is also a very fine powder which helps with dissolving.

I add 1tsp per 19L or 23L batch dissolved in boiling water. I just add the boiling water on top and I've not had any problems with consistency.

I add the gelatine following the schedule in this Brulosophy article...

https://brulosophy.com/methods/lage...RsQOJzfogO5nyt2AAahcJQyX8uuvMnO9ssx1hgyDuVP2w
Here's my most recent (gelatine fined) lager - Greg Hughes's Japanese Rice Lager

Im new to brewing and im brewing lager most of the time. Im trying to brew light clear beers and i hear gelatine helps. I also use a whirfloc tablet during brewing so not sure if the clash. Do i use any powder gelatine at the local supermarket or is there a specific type for brewing? Im also conditioning in corny kegs with co2, so should i add gelatine when transferring from primary fermenter to keg?

here you go: The Gelatin Effect | exBEERiment Results!

use 100 m cold water in a Pyrex jug add one teaspoon of powder gelatin and let it bloom for about twenty minutes
once its bloomed put it in the microwave for ten seconds and then stir repeat again another twice and it should be crystal clear once clear open your up and pour round the top and leave for about a week and you should have crystal clear beer:beer1:

I use the Dr Oeteker sheet gelatine when I need to fine a beer in the keg. One sheet treats a keg of beer.

1. Soak the sheet of gelatine in cold water, cut into 3 pieces.

2. Boil some other water, put 100-200ml in a sanitised container and cover it until it cools to 70c.

3. Then take the soaked gelatine sheet pieces, let the water drip off for a moment before dropping into the hot water. It should almost instantly dissolve.

4. Pour into your beer - make sure it's chilled if you want to clear our chill haze. It takes effect pretty quickly - you should see results in a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back