First "proper" lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackToBasics

Reaction score
Okay, I've done plenty of pseudo-lagers using either lager yeasts at ale yeast temps or "clean" kveik yeasts (the less said about the latter the better IMO).

I thought it was about time I tried a "proper" low temp fermentation with a lager yeast. My brew ended up with a wort with an SG of 1.047 (target ABV of 4.5%, I overshot a bit I think) and three packs of mangrove jack's bohemian pilsner pitched and held at 10c.

It's been 6 days and, according to my RAPT pill, it's currently sat at 1.023. It's certainly moving in the right direction but, compared to most of my ale-temp fermentations, it's very slow.

1. Is this normal? I've allowed for 2 weeks fermentation and 2 weeks lagering (I'll be using gelatine) for a party on 26th August. Have I allowed enough time?
2. If it's not normal, should I raise the temperature to get it to ferment out quicker? I suspect it would still be a "lager" if I did this but I kind of want to do this one properly (excluding the usual lagering time).

Edit - forgot to mention that I'm kegging so I'm expecting a week of carbonation time but I'd be open to burst carbonation if time is short.

Last edited:
I am also on my first real lager, pitched on Monday night and holding at 12 degrees. Brewfather indicates it is 55% complete. I plan to move slowly into an 18 degree D-rest at 75% which I expect will end up complete early next week.

In your case if the gravity is moving you don’t have a problem but adding a little more temperature would progress it faster- you are at the bottom end of the yeast temperature spec I think.

Latest posts

Back