Geordie Winter Warmer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've still not made mine given the comments, but as well as what you propose try adding black treacle - it's done wonders for my wilko velvet stout I tasted last night.
Hi Ravabelli, I've just bought Wilkos velvet stout, putting treacle sounds nice, how much did you put in? Did you make the full 40 pints or did you brew short? Also is the included yeast adequate or would you recommend another. Sorry for all the questions but this is only my second brew my first wilkos hoppy copper being a complete disaster.
Cheers

Hi, Pwaza101,
A suggestion for your velvet stout - use food grade malt extract for the fermentables. I used Potter's malt extract (Holland & Barrett) in a Scottish Heavy kit. The finished ale has a faint liquorice taste which may be good in a stout.
Treacle - whack it all in! The finished beer won't be undrinkable, and you can decide whether to tone it down in the next brew.
I always short brew - 20 litres.
As far as yeast goes, I use S-04 because it leaves a firm sediment. I am going to try Wilko's Gervin ale yeast (£1.75) in my next brew as it is reckoned to be Nottingham yeast, another good yeast for firm sedimentation.

I have to say I've had the opposite experience with this kit, it's my go to for an everyday beer, along with Cooper's wheat beer. Clean crisp taste, good creamy head and plenty fizz.

I always use dme with it and brew to 23 litres.

Latest posts

Back