Dark Rock Nectaron Pale Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Having finally given up the search for a Mangrove Jacks Citra IPA kit (which I've done before - it's glorious), which for some reason has been discontinued, I looked around for something new that I hadn't done before and came across Dark Rock's Nectaron Pale Ale. I'd seen the Partridge Brothers review, which was highly positive and having done a few Dark Rock kits, all of which have been excellent, I decided to give this one a go. If I do a Dark Rock kit, I always use their enhancer which is excellent stuff and also comes with Pure Brew. In fact, I've now started using Dark Rock enhancer with other kits as the fermentable - the results are always very good.

20230413_121624.jpg

Nectaron is a 'new' hop from New Zealand. It's been around for 17 years but has just recently entered the brewing arena.

Kit started 26th March 2023.
Added Pure Brew and made up to 23L with Tesco Ashbeck mineral water.
Fermented in brew fridge at 20.5°C.
Kit hops added on 3rd April.
Bottled on 6th April with one sugar stick per bottle and put back into brew fridge at 21°C.
Moved out to shed on 20th April.
First pint - Saturday 27th May.

20230526_175028.jpg

Pours beautifully. Not yet fully clear but a lovely golden colour with perfect carbonation and a good head. I'd had this in the fridge for a couple of days and it's definitely a beer that should be served slightly chilled. Not a hint of twang on the nose, nor in the mouth. There's a lot of fruit in there and the beer just tastes really rounded. The bitter finish is there, but it's subtle. This is a beautiful pint and it's difficult to believe it's a one tin kit. If I was served this in a pub, I'd drink it all night. I was in London last weekend and sampled many different beers - none of them were as good as this (and most of them were £6 or £7 a pint). As I can't get the Mangrove Jacks Citra IPA, I'll try the Dark Rock Citra Pale Ale next instead. These kits are so consistent and represent great value - especially with Pure Brew included in with the enhancer. I'm really going to enjoy drinking this one.

Nectaron is an amazing hop. Been using it for some time, including 4 identical brews of this. It's a GPA. Don't worry about my comments below the recipe, I liquored back to 20 litres from 15 litres. If you want more ale character than lager, add a few dry hops.

Edit.
I didn't see the bit about one-tin-kit. I'd assumed it was AG. That truly is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_140337.jpg
    IMG_20230528_140337.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nectaron is an amazing hop. Been using it for some time, including 4 identical brews of this. It's a GPA. Don't worry about my comments below the recipe, I liquored back to 20 litres from 15 litres. If you want more ale character than lager, add a few dry hops.

Edit.
I didn't see the bit about one-tin-kit. I'd assumed it was AG. That truly is amazing.
Hi ankou I know this an old thread but have only just read it today. You mention adding a dry hop to the nectaron single kit from dark rock, but the kit actually comes with an 80 gram dry hop addition which is awesome for a single tin kit. Highly recommend 👍🍻

I was just looking at this kit a few days ago. The Partridge brothers voted it their best kit beer from 2023. I’ll definitely have to try this one out next. Thanks for the recommendation.

Latest posts

Back