getting good head?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andystone

Reaction score
Evening all, excuse the smutty pun, but how do I get a good head on home brew beer? I've just finished my 2nd batch and as I'm a newbie I only put half a teaspoon of sugar in some bottles in order to see the difference. I have the Grolsch style bottles, they make a satisfying pop when opened, but no significant head. Am I doing something wrong?

ok first thing he he he he he he

secondly are you washing your glasses or bottles in washing up liquid at all if so then stop doing it

The bottles were brand new, cleaned them with fresh water and sterilizing tablet, not soap. Glasses are from me dishwasher. Now creamy head appears but carbonation is present. Bottled about 3 weeks ago.

I wash my bottles and glasses with washing up liquid and my beers have a head as big and fluffy as mine. I do rinse them of course.

But I always make beer with grain, either all grain or mini mash. I think this is what gives all my beers a good froth top. If you make kits, you could steep some crystal malt, which helps boost the head, though that will affect the flavour of the beer. Or do a mini mash, with pale malt and maybe other grains as well, which will make a better beer, but takes longer than making a kit.

I'm sure you'll find some of your kit beers get a decent head. And time in the bottle should improve them. If you happen to have a syringe, suck some beer up and push it back in. That'll give your beer head, I promise.

I find that a CALPOL syringe works really well for this as it has a flat end which you can rest on the bottom of the glass.I use a jug and smallish glasses for my beer.Never fails to create a nice creamy head.
Another method is to carefully pour your beer into a plastic measuring jug like those used for making baby milk.This usually works,but strangely does not work with a glass jug.I don't know why this is but think that there may be many microscopic scratches on the inside of a plastic jug causing any gas from the beer to come out of solution.I can't think of any other reason for this to happen.
So a using either method or both you should be able to get a nice head on yer beer.:clap:

True about the minute scratches. Bubbles need dirt/dust to form around.
I've had tighter, creamier heads by leaving in the fv for a lot longer.... maybe its me, or maybe the less yeast in the bottle helps... either way had some cracking pints recently :)

Latest posts

Back