getting the sweetness correct

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhotitfc

Reaction score
Hey all. i just started out making some wine and i got a youngs country definitive black cherry kit.

it says on the instructions that i need to get an SG reading of 1000 or below for 2 days running to to confirm that the fermentation has stopped which i understand but it then goes on to say:

"depending on your palate, follow the specific gravity reading for:
dryness - sweetness
1000 - 1006"

my question is if it has already gone to 1000 or below how do i get it back up again if i want it sweeter or should i stop at say 1004 if i wanted it sweeter than 1000?

i am getting a reading of 1002 so far

thanks

there are two ways of doing it, stopping fermentation early with pottasium sorbet or by adding non-fermentable sugars to it.

Pottasium sorbet - add a teaspoon when your s.g. is about 0.004 - 0.008 off what you want (above) then gently swish the brew 2 times a day for 3 - 4 days, then fermentation should of stopped with some sugars left non-fermented.. but you've gone past this point.

back sweetening - with some cyders and beers you can add juice to them afterwards.. fermentation will kick up again but it would mean you can prime the bottles and sweeten the cyder with a slosh of juice. (you can do this if you've stopped fermentation though)
or you can use non-fermentable sugars, things like artificial sweeteners and splenda. these wont ferment with the yeasties left in the brew but still sweeten.

hope i've helped.

Cheers

Andy

thats great thanks!

would you say splenda is the best thing? would i need a powdered sweetener? also will a sweetener leave a bitter taste?

thanks

i haven't used splenda before but i know it works. i usually transfer my brew into a fermentation bucket (rack off the sediment) and then make the sugar disolve.. and add about 5 artificial sweeteners at a time.. (i used just supermarket brands.. they seem to work fine.) in the bucket i can stir it around easier to see how it tastes before i bottle it.

Back